Schaums Basic Elec Eng

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd18vm

Reaction score
Can someone help me to understand problem 3.6? Sorry its cut off..its 60Hz and the word "the" the reactive power.

For (a) I don't understand how to solve for L whereby getting 45.94mH. Also the if Z=100/5= 20 when do i use that

in (B) i dont see why R=1 and Z=2?

John

sorry not sure why it posted twice, and the smiley was supposed to be the letter b

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Hope this helps:

The are directly giving you the value of R at 10 ohms

The value of Z is indirectly given from 100V/5 amps as 20 ohms.

Since Z = r + jx the value of x is the square root of z^2 - r^2 = 17.32 ohms reactive

Since this is a 60hz system ohmega = 2*pi*f = 377

x = ohmega * L

Solving for L: L = 17.32/377 = 0.04594 H = 45.94mH

The power factor of the circuit is the cosine of the angle between the voltage and current. Since we know all sides of the triangle, the cosine is R/Z = 10/20 = 1/2

Let me know if this is of any help. I tend to mess these things up when I type them in.

Jim

John,
Hope this helps:

The are directly giving you the value of R at 10 ohms

The value of Z is indirectly given from 100V/5 amps as 20 ohms.

Since Z = r + jx the value of x is the square root of z^2 - r^2 = 17.32 ohms reactive

Since this is a 60hz system ohmega = 2*pi*f = 377

x = ohmega * L

Solving for L: L = 17.32/377 = 0.04594 H = 45.94mH

The power factor of the circuit is the cosine of the angle between the voltage and current. Since we know all sides of the triangle, the cosine is R/Z = 10/20 = 1/2

Let me know if this is of any help. I tend to mess these things up when I type them in.

Jim

Jim, Thats great yes it helps, that I understand. Is the value of X always square root Z^2-R^2? Either I hadn't come across or didn't recognize it.

John

Jim, Thats great yes it helps, that I understand. Is the value of X always square root Z^2-R^2? Either I hadn't come across or didn't recognize it.
John

Yep. It's a simple right triangle. Z^2 = R^2 + X^2

Given any two, the third is simple algebra.

Jim

Yep. It's a simple right triangle. Z^2 = R^2 + X^2
Given any two, the third is simple algebra.

Jim
When I sat back down at the kitchen table i slapped my forehead realizing what i just asked.

thanks again

When I sat back down at the kitchen table i slapped my forehead realizing what i just asked.
thanks again

Welcome to the wonderful world of studying things you haven't had to think about since graduation day. I spent a lot of time bashing head on desk studying for that damn test. I just wish I had found this forum earlier than I did.

Jim

Welcome to the wonderful world of studying things you haven't had to think about since graduation day. I spent a lot of time bashing head on desk studying for that damn test. I just wish I had found this forum earlier than I did.
Jim
Its been 24 years, and I got a BS in Architecture, never had real Engineering courses. I think I'm screwed but i will keep plugging.

I found a student on craigslist, looking to tutor in guitar, is a Senior here at NC State in EE. I'm going to have him help me out with the fundamentals, as well as brush up on guitar.

I'll be posting a lot more I'm sure.

John

Latest posts

Back