Scam warning

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
Thought I would let you guys know what happened to my BIL.

Yesterday at 1:30am someone made a purchase online using his Paypal info. They immediately sent 1,000 emails to his address to try to hide the legitimate email from Paypal asking him if he had made this purchase. Pretty ingenious and it probably usually works, because most people would have just erased all of them and moved on. Fortunately, he started deleting the fake ones and the real one came back up on his phone. They were able to stop the purchase because he caught it the day it happened and no harm done, except now he gets all new cards and passwords FOR EVERYTHING. They said if he would have not caught it that day, it would have gone through and he would have to go through a claim process to get it back. He is now a member of Lifelock.

i do a lot through pay pal and I have a very insane CIA level passwod for that one account for sure.. and you have to change it up often...

I kind of wish pay pal had a two step password like a lot of banks do and ask for a security password if you log in from a new IP

Thanks for the heads up goodal.

i do a lot through pay pal and I have a very insane CIA level passwod for that one account for sure.. and you have to change it up often...

I kind of wish pay pal had a two step password like a lot of banks do and ask for a security password if you log in from a new IP
RG, have a read through this.

He is now a member of Lifelock.

Wow...he got scammed twice in the same day?

Seriously, LifeLock is a useless service. Nobody that provides legitimate service would need to advertise as much as they do. LifeLock has been in trouble with the SEC and FTC, and they are now the target of a class-action lawsuit (http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140314-908908.html).

He should drop them like a bad habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome, I didn't know this was possible. Thanks KF!

I had life lock for a few years and they seem useless. Also I have got several emails from paypal with my correct name on them and they said my paypal account was being limited. I did not use link in email and checked my account and it was fine. I think their link how they get password.

I just tried out the security key thing, thanks K1F3.

However, the security key killed the paypal here and the regular paypal app on my phone, works great for regular computer transactions though.

Guess I'll be utilizing square more often for mobile payments until they get it fixed.

Awesome, I didn't know this was possible. Thanks KF!
I just tried out the security key thing, thanks K1F3.

However, the security key killed the paypal here and the regular paypal app on my phone, works great for regular computer transactions though.

Guess I'll be utilizing square more often for mobile payments until they get it fixed.
NP. And with how much I use PayPal for my business, and all my accounts tied to it, it needs to be secure. So I really like that they added this 2-factor authentication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back