Salary Raise for Getting PE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am currently in negotiations with the boss to get a very healthy raise if i can swing it. Ill probably get a 2k-3k bonus, a 30-50% raise and next year a stake in the company. I cant complain.
50%!!!! Are you freakin' serious?? Or you're a mininum wager right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
How much more money are you bringing into the firm because of your new license?

But the fact of the matter is that if you apply for a job, typically a licensed engineer will be paid more than and unlicensed.

So I guess if you are O.K. with your newly licensed engineer leaving for a raise, then don't give him one.

I personally would appreciate my Manager just giving me a say 3% raise rather then me getting another offer for 7% more then he finally forking over the money.

I am workingat one of the top 10 design firm and they never give raise if you pass PE exam. (cheap greedy bosses)

and they just started to reimburse PE exam fee this year.

I received my PE and LEED AP last month and no raise no bonus.

But at least it increased my job security. with this economy i am lucky to have a job now. we had 10-15% laid off and some pay cut

but when the economy picks up i need to get out of here :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I am workingat one of the top 10 design firm and they never give raise if you pass PE exam. (cheap greedy bosses)and they just started to reimburse PE exam fee this year.

But at least it increased my job security. with this economy i am lucky to have a job now. we had 10-15% laid off and some pay cut

I like the comments that say "how much business you bringin' in with that license?" but know that as soon as you are licensed your business department raises your billing rate 15-25%.

I like the comments that say "how much business you bringin' in with that license?" but know that as soon as you are licensed your business department raises your billing rate 15-25%.
I am quite lucky in this case. As some of you know that I failed my SE1 on first trial in April. My company informed me that because you have learned new and important things during preparation for exam it has improved my performance at work also.

I got 8% raise for that. I am happy that my employer appreciates me....

I work for a state government agency, and I received a 7% (which amounts to about $4,000/year) pay increase for obtaining my license. Also, I will now automatically receive promotions the next two years which comes with a 10.5% and another 7% raise respectively. Plus I really enjoy the work that I do which is worth more than the money. But I cannot lie the money is still pretty good!

I was thinking the same exact thing!
No I just work with a good guy i guess.

I was actually looking for a bigger increase!!! I was grossing 47k + SEP + medical + bonus's. Weve worked out a 30%+ raise, an extra bonus and in leu of a bigger increase in pay i will be given a 50/50 partnership phased in over several years.

I am in a position in this area that if the money doesnt come my way through this employer i could open up shop "across the street" and harm this company. while i didnt use that as a threat to get my increase, it is in the back of everyones mind.

I am workingat one of the top 10 design firm and they never give raise if you pass PE exam. (cheap greedy bosses)and they just started to reimburse PE exam fee this year.

funny, similar things happen here, but they do pay for examination fees

passed the PE first try - got a little raise

passed the SE1 second try during October - no raise

passed the SE2 second try during April - no raise

got the IL SE license - no raise

only one in the company with the SE license and no longer subbing out IL work - no raise

I wish my mind didn't think this way, but sometimes it just does....

A little better than 7.5% raise and 400 dollar per quarter bonus. Not bad considering that we have already downsized about 30% thus far this year.

I asked my boss about a raise. His response: "Raise?-----Raise up off your ass and get to work!"
I wasn't there to hear him say that, but just from reading the response, I would say that your boss isn't the kind of person I would want to work for. You have greater exit options because of the license. Whether now or when the economy improves, go get that raise yourself. And be sure to thank your boss for the reference that ultimately allowed you to leave his company!

My annual raise was about $17k for passing the PE. This was last year though and just before the economy did a belly flop.

funny, similar things happen here, but they do pay for examination fees
passed the PE first try - got a little raise

passed the SE1 second try during October - no raise

passed the SE2 second try during April - no raise

got the IL SE license - no raise

only one in the company with the SE license and no longer subbing out IL work - no raise

I wish my mind didn't think this way, but sometimes it just does....
Just send your resume to an local firm and you will have another (probably better) offer. I don't know your field but Consulting Firms here in Oregon are always looking for a fully lic SE.

Work with the Federal Government so won't be getting **** for getting a PE. Will get more responsibility with the same pay...

However, it is a checked box that I'll need to get my next promotion in about 4 years so I guess it's worth it...lol

If I passed myn in october I am not anticipating a raise but also will not start acting in the capacity of a professional engineer or stamp anything or update my corporate resume until I can get a very fatty raise. I will definitly be updating my personal resume and start circulating it though to see if I can get a nice raise through changing companies but with this economy I think I am just going to stay hunkered down and keep my mouth shut until there are more opprotunities.

If I passed myn in october I am not anticipating a raise but also will not start acting in the capacity of a professional engineer or stamp anything or update my corporate resume until I can get a very fatty raise. I will definitly be updating my personal resume and start circulating it though to see if I can get a nice raise through changing companies but with this economy I think I am just going to stay hunkered down and keep my mouth shut until there are more opprotunities.
I'm in the same position here. I had my PE, but no applicable A/E firm experience. I actually took a pay cut to come to this firm. But now, they are starting to put me in responsible charge of projects, and I'm expecting a sizable raise in the near future.

Back