References Taking to Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

apk71

Here are a list of Books I plan on taking to the exam, depth will be in HVAC and refrigeration.

4 ASHRAE Handbooks

NFPA 90

ASHRAE Std's 15, 55, 62, 90.1

MERM

Cameron

NFPA Index

Heat Transfer Book

HVAC Book

Shigley and Mischke

NCEES sample exam

six min soultions

101 problems

Steam Data- Keenan and Keyes

Thermo Book

And a few others.

It seems like alot but better safe than sorry, some books could come in handy for only a few questions. But they should be a slam dunk.

apk,

As long as you're familiar with them I say bring as many books as you want. I think it would be pointless to bring a book that you're not familiar with, since you probably won't have time to get familiar with it during the exam. It would suck though to know that the answers to a question or two are in the books you left at home.

I totally agree with you. I have used or are using the books I listed for work and to study for the Exam. I don't plan on trying to find an answer to some obscure question my flipping through every book I have with me, I'll know when to give in.

I did bring a whole duffle bag or two full though. I definitely recommend bringing a bunch. Who knows, towards the end while trolling through questions you strictly don't know, you might come across a book that can help you.

Ed

Last edited:
Well said Ed. I did that during my practice exam and got a question right just by trolling. You never know.....

For the ME exam (Thermal afternoon), I used:

MERM

Steam Tables (Keenan, Keyes)

Gas Tables (Keenan and Kaye)

ASHRAE Fundamentals

I brought a few more, just in case, but only cracked them out of desperation for a couple of problems:

Thermodynamics text

Fluids text

Schaums Thermo

Schaums Fluids

Heat Transfer text

Machine Design text (Shigley and Mischke)

MERM Solutions

Unit Conversion book

Btw, first post here. Glad to find this site.

Welcome goldnwhite, not many mechanicals here, nice to see a new face. I took the ME in October (HVAC). Someday we'll get our results. :D

yes, welcome, and thanks for your post. i'm mechanical also. i will sit for the april 2007 exam, i'm studying to take machine design depth.

good to see another mech e.

hey, Im mech E too, I'll be taking the april 07 exam as well...

I have not decided which depth exam to take yet, But I am leaning towards machine design

I will probably study for all three afternoon sections, and choose the one I like best when the questions are in front of me... just so I can lug as many $200 books around as possible.

Any comments on Shigley VS Marks hanbook... has anyone found one much more useful than the other??

For the ME exam (Thermal afternoon), I used:MERM

Steam Tables (Keenan, Keyes)

Gas Tables (Keenan and Kaye)

ASHRAE Fundamentals
goldnwhite,

What are the advantages of the steam tables, gas tables and ASHRAE Fundamentals that you listed above over the information contained in the MERM? I am taking the Thermal afternoon also.

Thanks,

Randy

RVincent,

Those references are more in depth and easier to read (larger) than the MERM, but it's my understanding that the information in the MERM is probably adequate. I think some folks are used to using those references in lieu of the MERM and are thus more comfortable with them. I didn't take the Thermal afternoon portion though, I just saw your post and thought I'd add my opinion. Good luck!

RVincent,
Those references are more in depth and easier to read (larger) than the MERM, but it's my understanding that the information in the MERM is probably adequate. I think some folks are used to using those references in lieu of the MERM and are thus more comfortable with them. I didn't take the Thermal afternoon portion though, I just saw your post and thought I'd add my opinion. Good luck!
Thanks, Metro. That is my impression, too. But, it helps to hear it from others.

Regards,

Randy

4 ASHRAE Handbooks

MERM

Cameron

Shigley and Mischke

NCEES sample exam

Six Min Solutions

Steam Data- Keenan and Keyes

Large Mollier Diagram in a 3 ring binder

NOTES (on how to apply the different formulas) in a 3 ring binder

Engineering Unit Conversions ( Huge Time Saver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back