Reference from AASHTO in Morning study material: Is it required?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketanco

Reaction score
Hello I downloaded the Transportation Civil PE AM.pdf file from learn civil engineering site and found it very useful, thanks for it.

Question 1) I have a question on page 98 it says

S = 425 ft ( AASHTO Exhibit 3-1, page 112).

so it refers us to use that manual? Does it mean we have to buy AASHTO for AM of Transportation?

Question 2) This brings another question to my mind. Do we need other books for AM? I mean I will enter from Construction field. And I am buying or bought the materials for that depth. But for morning, do we have to buy this AASHTO or something for geotech and water and structural? So for AM sections other codebooks are required like this? Or only CERM will suffice for AM?

No, you should be able to solve any AM transportation problem by a general formula. Figure 1 is for Stopping Sight Distance (I don't see an exhibit 1) the answer on the test should be based on solving it by using the formula (which should be in most any civil reference) as it is unfair to expect someone that is taking the WR test to own the Green Book also. It is also a little dangerous to just use the figures and tables from the green book on the AM because they are often based on certain assumptions that may not apply to the question that you are asked. Say the test writers might anticipate you ignoring that they gave you another f value and leave the table answer as a possible choice to catch people who didn't solve the problem correctly.

Agreed. You will not need any codes or standards in the AM. CERM (and/or All In One) should do it.

Thanks! I've been thinking about buying the 2011 Green Book but if everyone is saying that it's not needed I'll stick with the notes I already have.

In summary, you'll need to know stuff that's in the GDHS - but you don't need to have the GDHS to know it, if that makes sense. :) Basic geometric design formulas can be found in CERM and elsewhere.

Back