Question about Georgia Structural PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YL-2017

Reaction score
Anyone recently got GA PE for structural?

I practice in bridges.  I have been told I need to take the SE exam in order to be call PE in GA.  Is this true?

That doesn't sound correct at all. You pass the PE to called a PE. You generally pass the SE to be called a SE. In Georgia, I believe you are allowed to take/pass the SE to be a PE.

Your best source would be to contact the state board. But the website below does not list GA as having Full Practice Restriction at this time. And knowing Georgia, it will be a few years in the future, but slightly quicker than Alabama. The process is usually a roster designation before Partial Practice Rest., then Full Practice Rest. unless a governor sees a significant threat that changes the winds of politics.

http://www.ncsea.com/resources/licensure/

That doesn't sound correct at all. You pass the PE to called a PE. You generally pass the SE to be called a SE. In Georgia, I believe you are allowed to take/pass the SE to be a PE.

Your best source would be to contact the state board. But the website below does not list GA as having Full Practice Restriction at this time. And knowing Georgia, it will be a few years in the future, but slightly quicker than Alabama. The process is usually a roster designation before Partial Practice Rest., then Full Practice Rest. unless a governor sees a significant threat that changes the winds of politics.

http://www.ncsea.com/resources/licensure/
This website is definitely useful. My workplace is a mixed boat of mechanical/structural work. I'm taking the Mechanical PE Exam (Machine Design and Materials) this coming April. While I've been gaining structural experience while I've been here, my educational background is mechanical. I've been trying to clarify what projects I would and would not be able to stamp/seal (if I pass, fingers crossed). I've reached out to a few state boards just to get written clarification. While the only way I feel confident about the truth would be to reach out to EVERY state board (TOO daunting -for the moment at least), this website goes a long way to getting a feel for the structural licensure trend and requirements across the country (since, of course, my company does more work out of state than locally). Thanks!

Back