Putting P.E. after your name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy to have passed the exam. Can I edit my email signature at work from EIT to PE? Are there any legal ramifications to it? Of course I do not have the number yet. No certificate yet....

But I passed the exam!!!!
NJ Board confirmed that PE designation CANNOT be used until license numbers are issued which could take another 4-8 weeks.

NJ Board confirmed that PE designation CANNOT be used until license numbers are issued which could take another 4-8 weeks.
I got my NJ license activation form and Law Exam on January 20 and mailed the package back overnight ground on the 21st.

Maybe I'll be first. My company already put me down on their certification paperwork. Had me sign some form - I was the last one listed -all others above were PEs. Where it asked for license number, the Branch Manager put in the date of my exam results and "awaiting license number from Board". Glad to be part of the club. They are anxious for me to receive my number. Can't wait to memorize it. I just feel so proud.

Tennessee updated their license search website today (licsrch.state.tn.us). It seems all the new TN PEs are now official!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known folks that INSISTED that they be addressed as "DOCTOR" because they had a PHD in history or english.... it always tended to accentuate "a superior air...'

I am just happy with the PE. I "passed" somehow, and I have the seal and number. I will do my best to build upon it, but there is no need to flaunt it. SOMEDAY I will update the resume with a line listing the state and number, but there is something about updating address lines that just seems "haughty."

I KNOW what it feels like to spend MANY YEARS without one, and I also know that "passing" the test has nothing to "do" with the value of my input. It does make sense to add it to a business card, but I have not had a card in so many years it would be out of character to start now. Those who know me know that I have the license. It is possible to be "proud" quietly.....

but I have not had a card in so many years it would be out of character to start now. Those who know me know that I have the license.
You don't have a business card? Where do you work? When you meet with people, how do you pass on your contact information? It has nothing to do with pride, it is letting people know what you are legally qualified to do.

Anybody else who doesn't have a business card? Maybe I'm loco, but that seems weird to me.

We have to ask for business cards and they just print them using a color laser printer. I don't bother bringing any during meetings because it is just shameful to hand out such rubbish. Most people use email these days and I store their contact info in my email address book anyhow.

it is just shameful to hand out such rubbish.
Shameful? How exactly? At least 95% of the people I come into contact with, incluing people at very high levels of power companies, have business cards AND email (and Blackerries, I-Phones, etc.)

^I think he's saying the cards his company provides are cheap and look cheap, so he's ashamed to hand them out.

BTW--I don't have a smartphone, and I don't know anyone at my company that has a company-supplied one.

I am so happy to have passed the exam. Can I edit my email signature at work from EIT to PE? Are there any legal ramifications to it? Of course I do not have the number yet. No certificate yet....

But I passed the exam!!!!

I already did. You should have your license number from the license database. That will do I guess.

^I think he's saying the cards his company provides are cheap and look cheap, so he's ashamed to hand them out.
BTW--I don't have a smartphone, and I don't know anyone at my company that has a company-supplied one.
Oh - you're right. I totally misinterpreted it. I understand now. Sorry.

My cell just went bad and they are going to get me a Blackberry curve now at work.

I heard Obama has some super Blackberry with enhanced security that cost $3K.

My ex-boss was a project engineer. I took his place when he left. My office person gives me a hard time because my ex-boss made him change a letter because it said Name, P.E. instead of name, P.E., P.E. He said his name should be followed by Professional Engineer as well as Project Engineer, thus the P.E., P.E.

While becoming a PE is a wonderful accomplishment and should not be taken lightly by anyone, just remember that you are not GOD in the process. Sorry, just my 2 cents after being frustrated by the "ex". I could tell you stories that would make you cringe.

My ex-boss was a project engineer. I took his place when he left. My office person gives me a hard time because my ex-boss made him change a letter because it said Name, P.E. instead of name, P.E., P.E. He said his name should be followed by Professional Engineer as well as Project Engineer, thus the P.E., P.E.
While becoming a PE is a wonderful accomplishment and should not be taken lightly by anyone, just remember that you are not GOD in the process. Sorry, just my 2 cents after being frustrated by the "ex". I could tell you stories that would make you cringe.
Wow! PE, PE.

It's an interesting question... when and which should suffixes be used? There's a short discussion on it at LinkedIn and googling will get you many more.

Personally, I think suffixes should be limited to matters of public interest. If you're licensed in your profession and your correspondence is business related, you should use the suffix that demonstrates your license. All other suffixes are not very useful and tend to make the person seem too impressed with themselves.

Thoughts?

It's an interesting question... when and which should suffixes be used? There's a short discussion on it at LinkedIn and googling will get you many more.
Personally, I think suffixes should be limited to matters of public interest. If you're licensed in your profession and your correspondence is business related, you should use the suffix that demonstrates your license. All other suffixes are not very useful and tend to make the person seem too impressed with themselves.

Thoughts?
I think things like PhDs, PEs, and lawyers (Esq.) are significant enough in their respective industries to warrant some initials after your name. I have LEED AP after my name in my email signature, but it's just another line item on my business card (like "Electrical Engineer") because it is important in my industry, but I would never put something like that after my name on LinkedIn, for instance. My dad has "PhD, PE" after his name on just about everything.

I put PE after my name on linkedin. Since linkedin is a professional networking site, I see no problem with using one's professional credentials there.

I do not put PE after my name on Facebook--that would just be silly.

I think things like PhDs, PEs, and lawyers (Esq.) are significant enough in their respective industries to warrant some initials after your name. I have LEED AP after my name in my email signature, but it's just another line item on my business card (like "Electrical Engineer") because it is important in my industry, but I would never put something like that after my name on LinkedIn, for instance. My dad has "PhD, PE" after his name on just about everything.
I don't like PhD for the reason I wrote above. If you follow that PhD should be used because it's a great accomplishment, you'll have to reason away those cases where a AA is a great accomplished for some.

Esq. makes sense to me because it is a (even though unregulated) term that denotes the person is licensed to practice law.

Back