proper way to have them not contact employers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks
Reaction score
somewhere between a rock and a hard place...
okay, so I have found a better paying, more engineering related job that I want to apply for... do I use the resume that I had been using this past summer while I was looking or do I update it with my current position? Anyone with advice, it would be welcome... remember, I only started in sept for this job, and I don't really want them to know I'm still looking....

I would update it - gets rid of (or shortens) whatever employment gap you got. No company will ever contact the current employer of an applicant without A. being interested in said applicant & B. asking said applicant if its ok. I guess the only catch is if they ask you, you tell them no, and they make a decision that would be contingent on that.

Anyways, it wouldn't throw up a red flag if its apparent the job you're presently in was only ever gonna be temporary or not in-line w/ your objective.

didn't think of it that way... and my current contract is already pretty much at 25% completion already... my big thing is 39% budget cut backs scare me. argh. Both jobs are quality control on construction sites, just that one is environmental and one is civil...

your present employment is applicable to the job you are applying for, definitely list it.

when they ask why you are switching so soon, tell them that you want to do more engineering. they have to respect that.

^Good point.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, unless every engagement in your resume is short term. I've seen that on a resume or two, and it does raise concerns that the applicant might not stick around. But just one short fling doesn't cause much suspicion.

Thanks guys, I updated my resume and have it all set to go... I'm gonna send it out today, and then not worry about it unless they contact me... I figure that I've always had good reasons for leaving where I was working, and this is the only job less then a few years... if it's a negative to them, then it wasn't meant to be... wish me luck!

Good luck gurl...

While we are at the topic of changing jobs. I was thinking if this is the "right" time to make a jump? The reason is, with the current economic times, will we be able to get (or negotiate) our "fair" prices? One of the reasons to jump is to make more money (significantly more so as to justify the jump and start at a new place). So is it possible that right now with the market and uncertainities some companies will not be open to as much negotiations as they would if things were not so bad?

Good luck gurl...
While we are at the topic of changing jobs. I was thinking if this is the "right" time to make a jump? The reason is, with the current economic times, will we be able to get (or negotiate) our "fair" prices? One of the reasons to jump is to make more money (significantly more so as to justify the jump and start at a new place). So is it possible that right now with the market and uncertainities some companies will not be open to as much negotiations as they would if things were not so bad?

I am not sure they will be less willing to negotiate salary. If they are going to hire for a position, they have already made a determination that they need to hire someone and probably defined a salary range. I think if you make it through the process and they want to higher you, they are probably more than willing to negotiate within that range. Now certainly they may have limited that initial range or use it as an excuse on why the offer is low, but you can always try. You can also try other stuff than salary like an extra week of vacation, defined bonuses if you meet certain metrics, etc.

One more thing, it probably depends on what leverage you have. If you are unemployed, they might realize that you probably don't have many options in this economy and might try to get you for cheap. If you are employed and not necessarily in a rush to move jobs, I think they'll realize they need to show you the money.

My bigger concern for switching jobs now is job security. You are walking into a new situation that you probably don't know much about (especially private companies). They can tell you they are fine, but you might just be a stop gap measure as the insiders are fleeing. At you current company, you should know where you stand and have an idea about your job security. Of course if you don't feel very secure at your current job, you might be better off somewhere else.

I'm thinking of looking for a position at other companies due to cut back hours and layoffs. We were told with no certain time frame that more employees could be let go. We had 13 employees and are now down to 10. My only concern is I was laid off from Feb-July '07 so I have only been with this company since July of '07. I really want to find a company that I can stay long term at but with this economy I don't know if I should try to find something now or wait and see who will be the next to be laid off. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of looking for a position at other companies due to cut back hours and layoffs. We were told with no certain time frame that more employees could be let go. We had 13 employees and are now down to 10. My only concern is I was laid off from Feb-July '07 so I have only been with this company since July of '07. I really want to find a company that I can stay long term at but with this economy I don't know if I should try to find something now or wait and see who will be the next to be laid off. Any suggestions?
how long had the 3 that were let go worked there? If they were there longer than you, it maybe more of quality of work than seniority.

if you're not looking, START! - but, tuff it out where you're at for now, at least till sh!t hits the fan. Its a lot like selling a house. . .if you put it on market now (start looking now), you might start getting offers a few mo's down the road, depending on where you live, etc.

I am in the interview process also right now. The company I work for is moving out of the "construction" phase and into the "operations" phase, so most of us that do design work are looking. Everyone I have interviewed with asks if there is any reason why I would perfer that they not contact my current employer. I just give an honest answer.

Freon

and I don't really want them to know I'm still looking....
If my company looked, they would find my up to date resume on the same site they found me on. If they keep me happy, I have no reason to leave. If they think I won't look out of fear of retaliation, I don't want to work there.

good point sky warp... since that last post though, I have completly had an attitude change about how they observe me, everyone else in the office is being parinoid about taking lunches and breaks, they are all changing their vacation plans etc etc... I just keep doing my job the right way and going thru the day as usual with the thoughts that if I tick someone off because I'm not willing to brown nose it, then at least I can collect unemployment if I get laid off, which was not something I could do when I left the last job...

I agree with Error Matrix - start looking to see what is out there NOW while you are not also contending with the stress of being unemployed and possibly being squeezed into 'settling' for a job.

I am actively interviewing with a few people now. While everyone admits the current economy is down, there isn't a massive layoff or reduction in the workforce or reduction in the need for engineering services - just a slowdown in schedule.

The beauty of looking is that you are doing just that ... you are looking. :)

I am in the interview process also right now.
Good luck!!

How is the job market in Houston these days?

If my company looked, they would find my up to date resume on the same site they found me on. If they keep me happy, I have no reason to leave. If they think I won't look out of fear of retaliation, I don't want to work there.
Very good point - I just go along with the flow in my job as well. Everyone up through the Division Director knows I am interviewing, so at this point it really doesn't matter.

JR

How is the job market in Houston these days?

While it has slowed down and certain departments are in bigger crunches than others, my company has 118 job openings in its Houston office alone right now, quite a few of them being senior-level positions.

My bigger concern for switching jobs now is job security. You are walking into a new situation that you probably don't know much about (especially private companies). They can tell you they are fine, but you might just be a stop gap measure as the insiders are fleeing. At you current company, you should know where you stand and have an idea about your job security. Of course if you don't feel very secure at your current job, you might be better off somewhere else.
That would be my biggest concern if I was looking to make a change. Many companies lay off in order of seniority, putting newbies first on the chopping block.

That's how Mr. Bug was laid off - they let go anyone who'd been there less than 2 years. He'd been there for only 4 months. In the end it wouldn't have mattered, since they've now laid off twice more and have gotten rid of all the inside sales people who were on base salary + commission. They've only kept the guys who work on commission only (they have seen their commission income cut by more than half, too). Seniority means something and in this economy if a company's going to make cuts they may be more likely to keep longer-term employees who have more institutional knowledge.

good point sky warp... since that last post though, I have completly had an attitude change about how they observe me, everyone else in the office is being parinoid about taking lunches and breaks, they are all changing their vacation plans etc etc... I just keep doing my job the right way and going thru the day as usual with the thoughts that if I tick someone off because I'm not willing to brown nose it, then at least I can collect unemployment if I get laid off, which was not something I could do when I left the last job...
A lot of people have had an attitude change due to this economy. I know that instead of coming in at 8 and leaving at 4:30, I'm working 30-60 minutes longer each day (either coming in early or leaving late). We're salaried so I don't get more money for doing it, but I don't want anyone to be able to say that I'm not working hard enough.

I've volunteered for extra tasks and am focusing on delivering for my (internal) customers, because if the shit hits the proverbial fan, I want to NOT be on the list of those who are deemed superfluous to the company.

Back