Problem with 6 Minute Solutions Ventilation Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vesterholt

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but I have a disagreement with 2 of the ventilation rate questions in the HVAC 6 Minute Solutions Book.

Question 66 refers to a "research facility", so I thought the appropriate thing to do would be to use the ventilation rates for a lab (10 cfm/person + .18 cfm/sqft). However, the solution uses the ventilation rate for a general office (5cfm/person + .06 cfm/sqft).

Question 76 refers to a determining a ventilation rate for a classroom and the solution uses the default occupancy rate based on the square footage as occupancy is not stated. However, the solution does not include the Area Outdoor Air Rate of .12 cfm/sqft.

Am I missing something here or are these errors?

I understand that Q76 has a similar methodology to Q67, however in Q67 the solution uses the default combined rate but Q76 uses the per person rate, this is the source of my confusion.

If given the number of people use people+area (left columns of ASHRAE 62.1)If number of people is unknown, use default rate (right columns of ASHRAE 62.1).

Back