Problem 504 - NCEES Geotechnical Afternoon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
I am having some trouble understanding this problem. From the CERM manual, I have not been able to find any clarity explaining this.

In the solution, are 'p' & 'q' nomenclature used to represent the tangent points on Mohr's circle (since data given was at failure)?

Any help would be great. Maybe its right and front of me and I don't see it. Starting to stress.

owillis

yes if you draw the mohrs circle it should look a little clearer than the solution in the ncees practice exam.

then once your draw the mohrs circle it becomes a trig problem (I think)

owillis --

Please take a look at the link to an Army Corps of Engineer's Manual (Page 10) at ACOE Manual

Please note the figure at the top. You will notice that the 'p' is represented by the line segment from the origin to point f along the x-axis. The 'q' is represented by the line segment from point e to point f. The remainder of the problem is as Road Guy stated - trignometric relationships based on the figure.

These trignometric relationships - without the benefit of seeing the stress circle (states) tends to not make much sense because it appears as if it is pulled from the air. Please take a look at the pdf document - it will go a long way to clearing up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please post a follow-up question.

JR

I am having some trouble understanding this problem. From the CERM manual, I have not been able to find any clarity explaining this.
In the solution, are 'p' & 'q' nomenclature used to represent the tangent points on Mohr's circle (since data given was at failure)?

Any help would be great. Maybe its right and front of me and I don't see it. Starting to stress.

owillis
I will look at this question tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
Back