Problem 4-part C in the Transportation Depth Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predgw

Reaction score
In order to solve for number of riders the manual is using an equation that is not found in the book. The equation makes sense except the entire equation is multipled by the percent of households in the population raised to the -1. So Ph^-1.

Anybody have the Voight TDRM and is familar with this? I feel Like I probbly wasted enough time on this type of problem, but now it is personal.

thanks

In order to solve for number of riders the manual is using an equation that is not found in the book. The equation makes sense except the entire equation is multipled by the percent of households in the population raised to the -1. So Ph^-1.

Anybody have the Voight TDRM and is familar with this? I feel Like I probbly wasted enough time on this type of problem, but now it is personal.

thanks

You should probably mention this problem is from chapt 1. ;) Also, posting the problem would help those who don't have the book to contribute.

I think the simple answer to your question about why ph is raised to -1, is so the units in the calculation cancel out and you end up with "riders" as your final units. By inverting ph, you turn the units into 1/households which leaves you with your final unit of "riders" after carrying out the entire equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back