Postponement in taking PE power for October 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerofrank

AeroFrank
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Due to unforseen circumstances (Unexpected finances) I will not be joining some of you, in sitting for the October 2011 Electrical Power exam. Looking forward possibly to April 2012. I'm also doing some soul searching as well. By profession I'm more of an Aerospace Engineer. NCEES sometime ago dropped the AE test;thus some of us had to choose another exam to test in. I felt Power was a good option at this time. The Mechanical exam has no modules associated with Aeronautical/Aerospace etc. Designing High speed trains is still my goal; however I'm not sure if a PE license is necessary, especially since most of the designs are done overseas. My real field of interest is Aerodynamics, structures, CFD, Electrodynamics, wind tunnel testing, vehicle performance etc. NCEES and the laywers would prefer that all engineers of every discipline become license;however there are many specialized disciplines (Biomedical, AERO, Robotics, systems etc); and their response was to me was it isn't financially feasible to develop test for each specialized engineering discipline. Another problem is transitioning from DoD to the commercial sector. If anyone can convince me that I should pursue this (PE license) further, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyway good luck to all of you on passing the October exam.

Aerofrank

Hi Everyone:Due to unforseen circumstances (Unexpected finances) I will not be joining some of you, in sitting for the October 2011 Electrical Power exam. Looking forward possibly to April 2012. I'm also doing some soul searching as well. By profession I'm more of an Aerospace Engineer. NCEES sometime ago dropped the AE test;thus some of us had to choose another exam to test in. I felt Power was a good option at this time. The Mechanical exam has no modules associated with Aeronautical/Aerospace etc. Designing High speed trains is still my goal; however I'm not sure if a PE license is necessary, especially since most of the designs are done overseas. My real field of interest is Aerodynamics, structures, CFD, Electrodynamics, wind tunnel testing, vehicle performance etc. NCEES and the laywers would prefer that all engineers of every discipline become license;however there are many specialized disciplines (Biomedical, AERO, Robotics, systems etc); and their response was to me was it isn't financially feasible to develop test for each specialized engineering discipline. Another problem is transitioning from DoD to the commercial sector. If anyone can convince me that I should pursue this (PE license) further, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyway good luck to all of you on passing the October exam.

Aerofrank
Given your military background and experience, I'm not certain a PE is essential, or how much it adds.

That said, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with Control Systems, or the MEchanical - Fluids exam. Of course, I don't know what you specifically did.

A high school acquaintance has a PhD in AE, and he took the Controls exam. He worked in Aerospace (satelllite controls) so I don't think he heeded it either, but he took it for the heck of it I think.

Hi Everyone:Due to unforseen circumstances (Unexpected finances) I will not be joining some of you, in sitting for the October 2011 Electrical Power exam. Looking forward possibly to April 2012. I'm also doing some soul searching as well. By profession I'm more of an Aerospace Engineer. NCEES sometime ago dropped the AE test;thus some of us had to choose another exam to test in. I felt Power was a good option at this time. The Mechanical exam has no modules associated with Aeronautical/Aerospace etc. Designing High speed trains is still my goal; however I'm not sure if a PE license is necessary, especially since most of the designs are done overseas. My real field of interest is Aerodynamics, structures, CFD, Electrodynamics, wind tunnel testing, vehicle performance etc. NCEES and the laywers would prefer that all engineers of every discipline become license;however there are many specialized disciplines (Biomedical, AERO, Robotics, systems etc); and their response was to me was it isn't financially feasible to develop test for each specialized engineering discipline. Another problem is transitioning from DoD to the commercial sector. If anyone can convince me that I should pursue this (PE license) further, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anyway good luck to all of you on passing the October exam.

Aerofrank
Given your military background and experience, I'm not certain a PE is essential, or how much it adds.

That said, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with Control Systems, or the MEchanical - Fluids exam. Of course, I don't know what you specifically did.

A high school acquaintance has a PhD in AE, and he took the Controls exam. He worked in Aerospace (satelllite controls) so I don't think he heeded it either, but he took it for the heck of it I think.

It is always good to get a PE even though it is not essential in the industry which you work. Having a PE does not hurt you but will help you. I have noticed in the exempt industries where anyone can call themselves an engineer. I have worked with non-degreed engineers in the exempt industries that call themselves engineers because the employer can hire them at a cheaper wage which then hurts the wages of degreed engineers. Getting a PE will set yourself apart from the others and also help the engineering profession. The engineering profession needs to drive their standards up and get rid of the exemption for certain industries. This will cause engineers to get paid what they are truely worth. So AeroFrank, help the engineering profession and get your PE. That is one of the reasons I am getting my PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back