Post PE Electronics Share

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjco04

Reaction score
Hello,

Now that it is all said and done, how did my fellow takers do? What were the topics that made you sweat bullets this time?

I have to say I struggled on communications (again!), a little bit of practical questions since I don't do design and also some control systems problems.

I felt good after which I hope translates into something positive but you never know since they know how to trick you to thinking that you got the right answer when it's not.

i thought it was hard. the morning session went as expected, and the afternoon one killed me. i did poorly on communications as well.

I thought it was tough; a very good challenge. One question that really made me sweat bullets was one particular design/implementation-type question. It combined a several concepts in such a way that I was just confused, ran short on time, and had to make an educated guess. It was a good one, but I just could not grasp what it was looking for in terms of an answer.

Omg those design implementation question was so generic but I failed to study them :(

Fourier transforms totally caught me off guard. Didn't see that one coming.

This is my second try. Failed last year in April as well and took a break since I know October would be tougher to study because it's summer time. I'm hoping for the best. I'm in Phase 2: Self Doubting where the flashes of questions occur and I get chills thinking that I probably did them wrong.

Good luck to us!

This is my second try. Failed last year in April as well and took a break since I know October would be tougher to study because it's summer time. I'm hoping for the best. I'm in Phase 2: Self Doubting where the flashes of questions occur and I get chills thinking that I probably did them wrong.
Be optimistic. Was the exam harder for you this time around? Same? Easier?

P.M. made me want to crawl under my desk and die half way through. A.M. went ok, nothing I would write home about.

Talk about a blow to the ego. If I fail this I don't think I have it in me to study as much as I did to take it a second time.

Not sure if you guys saw my post in the other results forum but I thought I would share here too to help lighten the mood a bit. One of my favorite recaps from another exam taker. Hilarious in my opinion and well-written.

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be optimistic. Was the exam harder for you this time around? Same? Easier?
I thought it was simpler this time around. Don't be fooled though since they threw a few curveballs in some problems. I just hate when I feel that there were simpler problems that are text book based which I actually scrambled.

Overall I think it was just about the same if not easier. We'll see.

Bring your college text books. Microelectronic circuits by Sedra and Smith. Schaum's outlines are helpful.

Hi mjco04,

which outline did you refer to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back