Possibly Joining a Start Up

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
There is a remote chance that I may get to join https://www.alphabetenergy.com/  .  They put diodes on anything that gives off a lot of waste heat, and it generates electricity.  Hiring me here in Tulsa could reduce the executives travel to Tulsa and Houston.  They still need to install their technology on a flare as a first step to prove the technology in the marketplace.

I hope that the job prospect works out for you (if it is something you'd be into)!

It's VERY difficult to put the smoke back inside once it has been let out.  Best of luck Slugger!

That actually look really cool.  i hope it works out for you.  Recovering waste heat as electricity, without moving parts, seems like a real solid idea to me.  It looks like the technology is well established, too, just never brought into the modern waste heat recovery field.

I heard through a friend that google is trying to start up their own fiber line (guess for their own tv, cable, internet service, etc) not sure its in OK yet, but I think they are trying to take over the world, seems like the systems operations of installing it would be the same as O&G

Is this Alphabet as in Google?

Also are these basically giant thermocouples?
No, they are diodes that convert heat into electricity at the same time provide a cooling effect.  Thermo couples are two wires of different materials twisted together that change resistance as temperature changes due to expansion of one wire is greater than the other.  A common thermocouple is made from copper-constentein. (spelling messed up maybe)

That actually look really cool.  i hope it works out for you.  Recovering waste heat as electricity, without moving parts, seems like a real solid idea to me.  It looks like the technology is well established, too, just never brought into the modern waste heat recovery field.
The problem has always been the issue of the diodes costing a lot.  I looked at them for Telecommunications over 10 years ago, and one tiny diode that would produce a few milliamps cost $850.  The price of the diodes must be going down.

I still haven't heard back, nor have I heard from the one interview I have been on.  I will be calling with a follow up tomorrow.  I also may be getting a call for an engineer manager position with a company that produces electricity for rural electric companies.  They pay 50% more because they have a hard time recruiting and retaining professionals to a location 15 miles from Nowhere, Oklahoma (it is a real place).  It would be 20 miles from my parents house, and lots of hunting and fishing for the kids.

The problem has always been the issue of the diodes costing a lot.  I looked at them for Telecommunications over 10 years ago, and one tiny diode that would produce a few milliamps cost $850.  The price of the diodes must be going down.
It really depends on the semi-conductor material used and the corresponding manufacturing process.  Conventional diodes are cheap and why they are so prevalent in just about all lighting applications today.  The diodes you looked at years ago must have been very specialized and not mass produced.

BTW @Slugger926, what is your background anyway?

It really depends on the semi-conductor material used and the corresponding manufacturing process.  Conventional diodes are cheap and why they are so prevalent in just about all lighting applications today.  The diodes you looked at years ago must have been very specialized and not mass produced.

BTW @Slugger926, what is your background anyway?
Multi-Disciplined - Biosystems/Agricultural Engineering with lots of mechanical engineering, some chemical, electrical, industrial, and civil engineering.  I also have an MS in Engineering and Technology Management which had several Industrial engineering classes covering Six Sigma, System Safety, and FMEA topics, along with an MBA with several entrepreneurship classes. I could easily wear multiple hats in a smaller company.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/terrybrittonpe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back