Point Seven Oh Eight!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, that is what she was tested at after they found her. Depending on elapsed time between her last drink and the test, I wonder just what the "peak" level was.

I was just reading that article...that has to be some kind of world record
While I was in Montana, we had a construction worker who was struck and killed by a drunk driver who we were told blew over a 0.7 when they tracked him down about 3 hours later.

The article doesn't say how it was measured. I think BAC by breathalyzer has a pretty wide margin of error. The best measure is directly from a blood sample. She should have been dead.

I'd like verify calibration of the test method.

From Wikipedia:

Recent cases of high blood alcohol levels
In November 2007, a driver was found passed out in her car in Oregon. A blood test showed her blood alcohol level was 0.550. She was charged with several offenses, including two counts of driving under the influence of an intoxicant, reckless endangerment of a person, criminal mischief and driving with a suspended license. Her bail was later set at $50,000 since she had several previous convictions for similar offenses.[29][30][31]

In December 2007, a driver was arrested in Klamath County, Oregon after she was found unconscious in her car which was stuck in a snow bank with its engine running. Police were forced to break a car window to remove her. After realizing she was in alcohol induced-coma, they rushed her to the hospital where a blood test showed her blood alcohol level was 0.720. She reportedly was released from the hospital the next day.[29][32] She was subsequently charged with drunk driving.[33]

In July 2008, a driver was arrested after he ran into a highway message board on Interstate 95 in Providence, Rhode Island. A breath test showed his blood alcohol level was at 0.491 and he was raced to the hospital where he was sedated and placed in a detoxification unit. He was subsequently charged with driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest.[34][35] He was later sentenced to one year probation, a $500 fine, 40 hours of community service and a one-year loss of his driver's license. The police later stated that his blood alcohol level was the highest they had ever seen for someone who hadn't died of alcohol poisoning.[36] It was later estimated that the driver had consumed 10-14 drinks over the course of 1–2 hours.[29], based on the standard levels of elimination which as documented previously can vary by up to 300%.

In December 2009, a South Dakota woman was found behind the wheel of a stolen car with a measured blood alcohol content of .708, almost nine times the state's limit of .08, thus becoming the highest recorded level of alcohol toxicity for the state. After she was hospitalized, she was released on bond and subsequently found the next day in another stolen automobile while under the influence.[37]

[edit] Highest recorded blood alcohol level/content

In December 2004, a man was admitted to the hospital in Plovdiv, Bulgaria after being struck by a car. After detecting a strong alcohol odour, doctors at a hospital conducted a breath test which displayed the man's blood alcohol content at 0.914% Concerned that their equipment was malfunctioning, doctors also performed five separate lab tests, all of which confirmed the man's incredible BAC.[38] The man was treated for serious injuries sustained in the crash but survived.[39] There have been cases reported in which individuals have supposedly survived BACs of over 1% but only limited information is available.[40]

In March 2009, a 45-year-old man was admitted to the hospital in Skierniewice, Poland after being struck by a car. The blood test shows blood alcohol content at 1.23%. The man survived. He did not remember neither the accident nor people he drank with.[41]

From Wikipedia:

In March 2009, a 45-year-old man was admitted to the hospital in Skierniewice, Poland after being struck by a car. The blood test shows blood alcohol content at 1.23%. The man survived. He did not remember neither the accident nor people he drank with.[41]
Thus confirming the myth that alcohol makes you invincible.

In college our fraternity decided to have a DUI party as sort of a public service. The idea was to have people check their BAL at various points during the party to see how drinking really affected them. The only problem is that as the party went on it became more of a contest to see who could go the highest.

Yeah, I remember visiting a bar in Huntington Beach, CA once that had a Breathalizer machine, I think it was quarter-operated. From what I saw, it was mostly used as a contest to see who could get the highest score.

Yeah, I remember visiting a bar in Huntington Beach, CA once that had a Breathalizer machine, I think it was quarter-operated. From what I saw, it was mostly used as a contest to see who could get the highest score.

I'll take "Top 10 places Supe would never want to put his lips", Alex.

The bars near the CU campus in Boulder used to have 1-2 police officers giving out breathilizers to bar patrons as a "friendly reminder" to not drink and drive. They did provide disposible tubes to blow into. Like others have stated, it became a contest for high score and not surprisingly, the officers played along as score keepers...

Last edited:
The bars near the CU campus in Boulder used to have 1-2 police officers giving out breathilizers to bar patrons as a "friendly reminder" to not drink and drive. They did provide disposible tubes to blow into. Like others have stated, it became a contest for high score and not surprisingly, the officers played along as score keepers...
I stayed the hell away from The Hill. I would go to house parties.

I only partied in Boulder twice. They were both epic nights. I don't see how anyone ever got any school work done there.

CSU was a better engineering school anyway. :D

Back