PM Geotech Books Needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyfan960

Reaction score
I was wondering what books everyone took to the last test in October for the PM Geotech portion of the test, so that I can get a jump start on hunting them down for april....

I just took the geotech pm and I don't think that it's important that you take specific books, just good books that you are familiar with. A couple of good soils and foundations books should do you just fine. Definately make sure you know your deep foundations, there was a lot of that. Make sure and get a sample exam and work through the pm section. The am section of the sample exam was a little too hard I thought, but the pm section was right on target. Good luck!

Thanks, but could you name a few text books that you might have used...?? I have the CERM and Six Min. Solutions, but nothing else....except some course notes...

Actually be specific? I can do that.

CERM - definately used a lot

6 min solns geotech - never looked at it during exam, but good for prep

6 min solns structural - never looked at it during exam, never should have bothered with it at all

sample exam - used once during exam, pm section is good for prep

Holtz and Kovacs soils book - used a couple times

Advanced Soils by Das - used a couple times

Foundations by Day (should have taken Bowles) - used several times

notebook from foundations class (we didn't use a book) - didn't use

ACI 318 - used once

ASID, ASD - used several times

IBC - can't remember using this

can't remember the name, but I have a book on unit conversions - definately used a lot, either get a book or make one

also make a book which included equation sheets for each area of civil and a copy of the CERM index - used this a ton, definately do this!

I'd have to check to make sure, but I think this is everything. If I have to do this again, I'll find something good for deep foundations since the CERM is way light on this topic. Also, would find something on braced excavations.

Thanks so much....I have about half of that stuff...maybe...so I got some thign to gather....I greatly appreciate your help.

Bowles is a great reference.

Budhu or Das are good intro textbooks that can get you far.

I found that the deep foundations stuff on the exam was pretty straight forward. The walls are where they got me...not only in the design-related items but also on one that was nothing more than a theory question.

I know the theory one you are talking about and it got me too. I don't know why the deep foundation stuff got me, other than I really didn't have a good reference. Or I'm an idiot, misunderstood the questions and totally failed the exam. Entirely possible. :suicide:

I used the following books to prepare for the exam: (I bought more books which I did not ended up using)

1. Six minute solutions for the Civil PE Exam Geotech depth

2. Practice problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam 10th edition

3. Seismic Design of Building Structures by Lindeburg

4. Civil PE Sample Examination by Lindeburg

5. Principles of Foundation Engineering- Braja Das

6. Civil Engineering Reference Manual- 10th edition Lindeburg

7. Navfac Soil Mechanics and Design Manual- DM 7.01 and DM 7.02

8. Foundation Engineering Handbook- Fang, Hsai-Yang

I hope it helps.

--failure to plan is the same as planning for failure--

Back