Please help with the additional Credit required for Science

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeYem

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought passing FE, PE exams would be the hardest thing in the journey of becoming a PE. However, it seems like I am stuck with the credential evaluation since I will need additional 4hr credit to get my Illinois Stamp.
I could either fly out and challenge CLEP chemistry (6 credit exam) or will need to find a 'challenge for credit' or an online course for Physics which I would prefer to Chemistry. Please share some thoughts..
Thanks in advance.

(Background: I am licensed with Texas Board and will need Illinois stamp for my work. That said, for NCEES I have met all the requirements for licensing. However, since my Engineering was from a non-ABET, I needed extra credits for Science (Physics/Chemistry) to meet Board specific requirements.

Hello,
I thought passing FE, PE exams would be the hardest thing in the journey of becoming a PE. However, it seems like I am stuck with the credential evaluation since I will need additional 4hr credit to get my Illinois Stamp.
I could either fly out and challenge CLEP chemistry (6 credit exam) or will need to find a 'challenge for credit' or an online course for Physics which I would prefer to Chemistry. Please share some thoughts..
Thanks in advance.

(Background: I am licensed with Texas Board and will need Illinois stamp for my work. That said, for NCEES I have met all the requirements for licensing. However, since my Engineering was from a non-ABET, I needed extra credits for Science (Physics/Chemistry) to meet Board specific requirements.

If you need to be licensed in Illinois, it reasons that you have to fulfill the requirements set by the Illinois PE board. What options did they give you? Can you take a college-level class (which may also count for continuing education credit in Texas)?

Note that NCEES is an organization that develops and administers exams. They do not issue licenses, nor does NCEES have "licensing requirements".

Hello,
Thanks in advance.

If NCEES says you need to cover missing credits using CLEP or similar exam, most state boards will has same opinion. i don't think there is way around to this. On a good note, CLEP exams are not hard, 1-2 weeks of study is good enough to crack those. Watch some YouTube videos on these topics as well. Good luck.

Back