Please clarify this gear problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechgirl

Reaction score
#538 in Mech Systems depth of the 2008 NCEES sample exam:

A 42-tooth pinion running at 1800 rpm drives a gear at 1080 rpm. The spur gear pair is to be enclosed in a cylindrical casing with a total diametral clearance of 1/2". The diametral pitch is 16 teeth/in. The minimum required casing diameter (in.) is most nearly:

The solution starts with "Let P=6" Then goes on to solve using P of 6, while I used a P of 16.

Can someone please tell me why the given diametral pitch of 16 was not used in the solution? Where did the diametral pitch of 6 come from?

It doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the "16" is a typo based on the solution and answers given, but sometimes assuming a typo is the easy way out. I don't see any reason for what they did.

It doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the "16" is a typo based on the solution and answers given, but sometimes assuming a typo is the easy way out. I don't see any reason for what they did.
I have such a difficult time with machine design... but I'm glad someone else thinks it's a typo. I did find another typo in the thermal and fluids depth section. Enthalpy was given as h= lbm/hr . Hope there aren't typos on the test.

I will say I'm much more confident after working through the NCEES mech materials and thermo/fluids depth sections. I did nearly all the fluids problems right, and a good portion of the machine design were correct, but did take much longer than 6 minutes:( This week I'll work through the HVAC 6 min solutions, and when finished, I'll take the NCEES practice exam morning and HVAC sections timed.

Back