Pile Capacity Problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civil78

Reaction score
I've attached a problem from the testmasters geotech review... I am completely stuck and I have lost a section of the geotech notes that would have covered pile capacity problems. CERM doesn't seem to approach them the same way and I cannot find a similiar problem. If anyone knows how to tackle this or has the testmasters explanation notes for this section and can help I would be VERY thankful. Even if you don't have the testmasters but know how to solve it PLEASE tell me!! I have no idea where the 30 is coming from in the first calculation

pile_cap_probleml.jpg

I've attached a problem from the testmasters geotech review... I am completely stuck and I have lost a section of the geotech notes that would have covered pile capacity problems. CERM doesn't seem to approach them the same way and I cannot find a similiar problem. If anyone knows how to tackle this or has the testmasters explanation notes for this section and can help I would be VERY thankful. Even if you don't have the testmasters but know how to solve it PLEASE tell me!! I have no idea where the 30 is coming from in the first calculation
I was missing some information...

end bearing capacity was given on a previous page at 30,000psf- the info was referenced for a different set of problems and drove me nuts. If anyone is using this problem as practice- the information also gave the surface frictional resistance as 1500psf which you need to complete part b. Thanks for anyone that looked at it

I was missing some information...

end bearing capacity was given on a previous page at 30,000psf- the info was referenced for a different set of problems and drove me nuts. If anyone is using this problem as practice- the information also gave the surface frictional resistance as 1500psf which you need to complete part b. Thanks for anyone that looked at it
The problem is solves as follows. Essentially, there is resistance by two sources on the piles. The tip of the pile which is bearing capacity and the friction on the side of the pile which is frictional resistance. The euqation would be set up as follows: Q.allow=Tip + Friction. The Q.Allow is given and the tip is given. The frictional capacity is perimeter X length x frictional resistance. Q.allow= Tip + perimeter X length x frictional resistance. All you have to do next is find the "length." Remember to account for all of the piles. Hope this helps!

Back