PE preparation and study method recommendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

twada

I started studying about three months before the exam date. This is how I studied and I think it is a fail free. I am saying this because I never received an EE degree. All I have is BS in Physics, and MArch. If a guy like me can pass PE, everybody can.

I ordered the study materials from MGI (http://mgi.org). In my opinion, MGI can provide you the most PE ready study materials. They send you three sets of books. One is the study manual that consists of variety of topics from polyphase, transformer, transient….up to transistor and controls. It has a brief summary of each topic, sample problems and very detailed solutions. The second book is all practice problems and solutions. The third one is mini-test on each topic and comprehensive practice exam.

Then I looked at a calendar and planed the study schedule to cover all topics within 3 months. It was not easy since I work during daytime. Although I spent at least 2 hours to study during the weekdays..(sometimes I studied during my office hour behind my boss), majority of my study time went in the library on the weekends. I also allowed time to watch NFL, knowing that it a waste of time, but could not resist.

My first phase was just read Book #1, read the summary of the topics and sample problems and solutions. The summary gives you enough knowledge and equations (not too many equations) to solve the problems. This Book #1 is the Must-to Have, I used this book a lot (I mean a lot) during the real exam. Whenever each topic is done, I moved on to Book #2 for the practice problems. Generally those practice problems are a little harder, but I tried to digest the logic of the solutions. It took me about 2 months to finish Book #1 and Book #2. (The last three topics are about transistor and controls – I had to give up on studying the last topic..It was too difficult for me..)

I allocated the third month just for the mini-tests. I had to review the summary from Book #1 and confront those mini-test problems in Book #3. Every mini-test I finished, I had to make a PDF of my solutions to my grader from MGI via E-mail, and had him score my tests. He was very responsive, so if I submit the test in the morning, I got the result by afternoon. This was very crucial because I did not have time to wait for the result to arrive in a few days. He also sent me all the solutions, so I could review all the solutions. I actually did not have time to do the mini-tests on transistor and controls. So I allocated last two days just revisit Book #1 on those topics. I wish I started studying at least a week earlier, but I did the best I could. The night before the exam, I had a good rest.

After taking the real exam, I felt the practice problems that MGI provided really nailed the real exam. Although I felt that about a half of the morning exam was on controls, and I did not feel comfortable, I did quite OK by the help from Book #1 summary.

I am not a sales person from MGI, but I really recommend this company. The price is about $500.

If anyone who passed PE has any recommendations, please post for those who are planning take the exam.

Last edited:
Back