PE Power New CBT Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but I would say more like a PDF viewer. You have a section to the left side with two tabs. One for the search feature and search results and the other tab for an outline with bookmarks at each article. So for the NEC, the outline bookmark has each article of the NEC, the Chapter 9 tables, etc. You can adjust the size of this side section to however small or large you would like or even hide it entirely. I did this on accident, but it acts similar in that fashion as Bluebeam Revu’s sidebar if you are familiar with that one. 
Thank you for detail information. That mean definitely we should use searchable codes and reference materials to practice for the CBT exam. 

One minor question I have about looking at the electronic versions of the NEC, NFPA, NESC, etc during the exam:

Does it feel more like looking at a PDF file through a browser rather than Adobe Acrobat or a typical PDF viewer program?
Check out the demo i linked above. it has an example of the FE reference book.

Can we post questions that we encountered in exam here which may help other test takers?
1.  To your question in bold:  Definitely not!   Please DO NOT post information (not even a general description) about questions that even remotely resemble what was on the real exam.  We all signed an agreement to keep this confidential when we registered for the exam.  I'm just trying to protect you or anyone who might slip up and possibly have their exam thrown out since it has happened before to test takers who have messed up and divulged such information.  Please be careful!

2.  I do not know how the NCEES evaluates a passing score.  This is the first time the CBT was administered for electrical power, so this is all new territory for us, even for repeat takers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we post questions that we encountered in exam here which may help other test takers?
Ziggy,

Do NOT post anything at all about actual questions you encountered in the actual exam here.

If you do so, you break the non-disclosure agreement you were supposed to agree with NCEES when taking the exam. They can cancel your score because of this.

I'm trying to help you dodge a bullet and not get your score cancelled.

I wonder if there will be any pretest items in the power CBT exam. I feel like the whole exam is technically a pretest exam and they would only start introducing these questions after they establish a baseline on performance. Mechanical exams have been CBT for almost a year now. 

I wonder if there will be any pretest items in the power CBT exam. I feel like the whole exam is technically a pretest exam and they would only start introducing these questions after they establish a baseline on performance. Mechanical exams have been CBT for almost a year now. 
There probably will be some pre-test questions. I was looking at the NCEES examinee guide the other night for CBT exams, and I thought I remember seeing it mention a few pre-test questions for CBT exams that won't actually be counted...

There probably will be some pre-test questions. I was looking at the NCEES examinee guide the other night for CBT exams, and I thought I remember seeing it mention a few pre-test questions for CBT exams that won't actually be counted...
Can you send me a link where you found it?

Thought this is only for FE CBT exams. Because FE exam have 110 questions and NCEES clearly states that the 10 questions are pre-test questions that will not be counted.

@DuranDuran , not sure if this is okay to ask, but are the qualitative questions involved with the use of formulas? or are they a type of questions that is like a trivia questions.

Also a quick question about the NCEES Examinee Guide... Is there somewhere on the NCEES Portal dashboard that checks if you have read and agreed the examinee guide, before taking the exam?

I know the examinee guide states that you are supposed to read and comply with the examinee guide before the exam... But I didn't see if the NCEES Portal dashboard actually checks that you read and agreed to the examinee guide...

Also a quick question about the NCEES Examinee Guide... Is there somewhere on the NCEES Portal dashboard that checks if you have read and agreed the examinee guide, before taking the exam?

I know the examinee guide states that you are supposed to read and comply with the examinee guide before the exam... But I didn't see if the NCEES Portal dashboard actually checks that you read and agreed to the examinee guide...
I think when you register and pay for your NCEES exam, they will show you the examinee guide and will let you read and agreed before clicking ok.

I think when you register and pay for your NCEES exam, they will show you the examinee guide and will let you read and agreed before clicking ok.
Ok, thanks! I'm just trying to cover my pre-exam bases. This occurred to me while reading the examinee guide a few days ago.

Also one other thing I saw in the CBT Examinee Guide: before the beginning of the exam, you have to read and agree to their terms and conditions within 2 minutes.

If you don't, apparently that means you don't get to take the exam... According to the NCEES Examinee Guide at least.

@DuranDuran , not sure if this is okay to ask, but are the qualitative questions involved with the use of formulas? or are they a type of questions that is like a trivia questions.
I would instead refer you to the NCEES sample exam as it is representative of the exam. Refer to questions 102, 103, 109, 112, 113, 115, 124, 126, 128, 130, 134, 136, 505, 509, 516, 519, 520, 521, 527, 533, 534, 537, 538. I think you get a good feel for the types of qualitative questions from these. 

Ok, thanks! I'm just trying to cover my pre-exam bases. This occurred to me while reading the examinee guide a few days ago.

Also one other thing I saw in the CBT Examinee Guide: before the beginning of the exam, you have to read and agree to their terms and conditions within 2 minutes.

If you don't, apparently that means you don't get to take the exam... According to the NCEES Examinee Guide at least.
That's the nondisclosure agreement. Similar to the one that you sign for the FE.

after trying in april and october, finally took my test yesterday. 10 months of studying and waiting. glad to take it out of to do list. agreed with the experience of our friends here on cbt power. questions are mixed. some questions feels relatively new that no matter how much you stare at it, you may not know the answer unless you have read it somewhere. some questions are straight forward which scared you as you feel you are missing something. i hate the waiting when scrolling through formulas or chapters in the reference pdf. there always seem to be lagging as if its dowloading from the web - everytime you scrolled. this is where open book is so much easier just by looking at the tabs that you trained for 10 months doing. in the end i had like 1 hour plus extra. i got the feeling that i rushed the morning session. definitely will take my time if i had to redo it again. good luck to others. may the force be with u.

I wasn't trying to be rude to @BebeshKing.  I appreciate them asking the question.  I'm just not going to risk saying anything that might be construed as "giving away too much info" in the eyes of the NCEES.  
I completely understand . No problem. I appreciate those people like you who share their experiences during their exam. Its a great a help for us to prepare. Thanks!

Back