PE + CET degree

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkauss

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out which state has the least amount of experience with a CET degree, before I can sit for the PE. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already know GA is going to take me 7yrs.

Thanks,

NV will let you take it before your experience is complet but you can't get licensed until you complete experience

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out which state has the least amount of experience with a CET degree, before I can sit for the PE. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already know GA is going to take me 7yrs.

Thanks,
Probably California; this assumes that you can pass the state-specific exam of course. It's been a few years since I looked it up, but CA requires 3 years experience for EIT and 3 for PE, with up to 5 years credited for education (with or without degree). Washington requires 4 & 4. Oregon I think requires 6 & 4 for those with Engineering Tech degrees, 8 & 4 for those with experience only or partial credit (no degree).

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Well Virginia only requires 6 years and is one of the states that allows you to use some qualifying experience (up to 50%) gained prior to earning your degree to meet this requirement. I live in NC and I've been looking for this same information but looking to take advantage of the professional/qualifying experience I've already gain. I've worked in the industry since 2003 and have done varied levels of engineering grade work since 2005. However, I'm just now earning BSET after originally earning 84 credits in BS engineering program between 1996-1999 and graduating from AAS program in 2006. I passed the FE in October and would estimate that I've already achieved 3-5 years of progressive engineering experience as defined by most engineering boards. However, the engineering board here in NC doesn't allow you to use any prior experience and based on their requirements for CETs, I would have to gain another 8 years of experience after graduating this coming spring before I would be eligible to take the PE exam. So I'm definitely considering taking the exam in another state but would only consider taking it in a state where it would be practical for me to be licensed or even relocate to; primarily states in the southeast region of the country.

Back