PE Careers in CIA, NSA, FBI, DOD, etc. ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeBody

Reaction score
Anyone have insight on the hiring of PEs in the federal government, particularly in the intelligence 3-letter-alphabet-spook agencies? For the Electrical & Computer PE, it seems from these forums that there isn't much use for a PE in Electronics or Computers, only for Power. But maybe the CIA, NSA, FBI, or some other agency would recruit those PEs for technical intelligence gathering stuff. I haven't seen many federal government job announcements looking for PEs. It seems those only come from state governments, since PEs are licensed by the state and mostly needed for public safety work. Anyone on here found that their PE gave them an advantage for federal government hiring?

Did I post in the wrong section? If I did, sorry about that, please move this thread to the correct section. I'm asking because...well...I am personally interested in technical intelligence careers. I'm just wondering if I get my PE if it will give me any advantage.

:unsure:

To answer if those specific positions are looking for PE's directly, no, from the folks I've known in that industry, it isn't something they are looking for. Will it be advantageous if you have it during the competion for a position, possibly but I wouldn't bank on it. Here are some thoughts to consider.

1. They are looking for skills, not credentials. Credentials don't always indicate skills, but it is a consideration and if your skill set is strong, and the decision is between you (a licensed PE) and another guy with similar skills but without a license, then you might have the edge, by virtue of the fact that you have demonstrated a certain level of proficiency in a standardized test.

2. It might actually be a disadvantage because it puts you and your name and your address and your area of proficiency out there on the state agency license lookup for anybody to see. Depending on what you are doing and what role you play, folks like the CIA may not want your skills available for public lookup.

Just some thoughts. I am not in the industry, so my comments are speculative, but I do know a few folks in the industry and I've got a general sense of what they might say.

<<<--- knows for sure that the DOD (Army) doesn't require a PE... that is contracted out to the USACE... the DOD engineers usually just supervise the PE's they contract out... usually...

with that said, I have run into a few here and there, however most I have known came from somewhere else where they had needed it and it was the experience that got them the job

Back