PE after name in academic work

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyasw02

Reaction score
Would or have any of you put PE after your name in academic work such as a thesis? I'm debating whether or not I should put it on mine. After all, I earned it and every PhD puts that after his name.

Most profs I had in college that were licensed put PE after their name, along with PhD and whatever other acronyms they could cram in there. I don't see an issue with it, you earned it!!

I'm on the fence on this, but I don't do it. I'm working on my Masters and all of my professors know I passed the test and they congratulated me on the achievement. If you are doing something that could be published, I would add it, otherwise, for day to day assignments I leave it off.

The way I see it, the PE is a credential of licensure and an assurance to the public and your clients of your demonstrated abilities. A professor is going to know your abilities by the type of work you perform and the quality of your work is going to speak a lot more than 2 letters after your name.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m interested to see what other people think about this topic too.

:2cents:

I dont do it for assignments, but I'm really thinking about doing it on my thesis since it's my final hoorah for school. Also, I think only one or two profs in the department are PEs so I dont know how it goes over in the academic world to people who dont have it.

I'd put it on the thesis. It is part of your formal title, just like rank and branch of service. I even had it inserted in the comments section on my DD214.

Major Freon Twelve, P.E., USMCRet

SapperPE said:
On the run of the mill homework, no, I don't put it on there. On papers and project reports, I do put it on there. I don't know if it matters at all, but I do it anyway.
I put it on papers and major homework. I have one paper that is being compiled into a book.

SapperPE said:
On the run of the mill homework, no, I don't put it on there. On papers and project reports, I do put it on there. I don't know if it matters at all, but I do it anyway.
I'm in this camp.

If it's a weekly 1 page report, I just put my name. If it's a term paper or final presentation, I add the PE to it.

Back