PDH for taking exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mostruc

Reaction score
Did anybody think of claiming studying time or actual "exam taking time" for continuing education credits? Seems fair...I was studying for S-II and WA S-III and now I discovered that I am lacking my PDH hours for the past two years.

I would put it in my file and count it and if you get audited let them tell you otherwise...

Compared to some of the crap that gets passed by as PDH's I would think at the minimum the 8 hour exam should count as 8 hours.

versus being at a conference playing on the phone while you sit and listen to some nobody ramble on about something something...

It depends on your state board.

If you're already a MO PE and take the SE (or have taken the SE2 and SE3) then you very well may get it.

I would call the board.

I emailed the board - no response yet. It turned out that I have just enough credits for this period but I want to clear this issue and maybe rollover some hours into the next period.

^^ One other thought came to mind. Is this your first renewal? If so, you may be exempt from CEU's this renewal cycle.

Many state board give an exception from CEU's for the 1st renewal after licensure as well as a few other cases. I am not sure that all of them do this though.

Still, it seems that it isn't a major problem anymore. Good thing that you're just getting everything cleared up.

I had never thought about PDHs for the exam. Obviously it doesn't help for your first PE, but for subsequent exams it makes sense. For instance, in my company we have a few MEs and one EE who are going to be taking the Fire Protection PE (well, two MEs have both taken and failed it already), but getting that extra credential should be worth something.

^^ One other thought came to mind. Is this your first renewal? If so, you may be exempt from CEU's this renewal cycle. Many state board give an exception from CEU's for the 1st renewal after licensure as well as a few other cases. I am not sure that all of them do this though. Still, it seems that it isn't a major problem anymore. Good thing that you're just getting everything cleared up.
No, it is not the first renewal...Spoke with the Board: according to them this activity would fall under the "Non-qualified" activities and would not count for PDH/CEU. I can write to the board, of course, and have them review the issue and rule. Maybe I will do that.

Back