Pay pal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I got a note when I logged into pay pal they are now requiring a copy of a photo I'd and proof of residence (utility bill)

Well that is fucked up!

I'm gonna have to blame Obama....

I got a note when I logged into pay pal they are now requiring a copy of a photo I'd and proof of residence (utility bill)

Well that is fucked up!

I don't think you can blame Obama for that (or any other D). They don't think you should have to show any ID or proof of residence...

your right :( f'n Bush!!!!!!!!!

I like to use my work address for pay pal address just "because" and now I cant. I am sure there is soem bad ju ju going on in pay pal underworld but come on man!

Well that is fucked up!

I actually don't mind this as premier PayPal account holder. When they were first getting started, there were a lot of disputed transactions because goods didn't show up at the respective delivery locations. Which I assume was due to human error. I also had to provide this information to them to add my work address as a confirmed location. It wasn't difficult though, just sent them a photocopied fax (yes some entities still use fax....LOL). Was good to go in about an hour or two.

Requiring it for what?
To add a confirmed shipping address to your account. It's an added security measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I logged in and wasn't prompted for anything, but I didn't try to add anything, either.

Are you sure it is not someone phishing for your personal information?
I logged in and wasn't prompted for anything, but I didn't try to add anything, either.
It's not a request when you log in to PayPal. At least it wasn't for me. It's when you want to add a secondary confirmed ship-to address. For instance, my primary confirmed address is my home address. But occasionally I order pricey electronics that I don't want sitting outside all day. So I wanted to use my work address as a secondary ship-to addy. To do this, PayPal asks that you provide proof that you are at that residence along with a photo ID. So I had to fax them a copy of my driver's license and business card. It wasn't too long after that I had a secondary confirmed ship-to address. I guess I didn't mind the extra level of security there.

They have been trying to get my SS number for a couple of years, but I have not given in yet. They have threatened to shut me down , but my account still works??

I tried to update my address and that's when it snagged me... So it's not a phishing thing....

Some vendors won't ship to an unconfirmed address because they don't want to get ripped off with the "I never received it" line that so many scammers use via Paypal. Sounds like they are simply updating their confirmation process.

They have been trying to get my SS number for a couple of years, but I have not given in yet. They have threatened to shut me down , but my account still works??
What the what? Ya no online auction entity or affiliated entity should ever need your SSN. :huh:

If you make over 200 transactions or some dollar amount they (pay pal) will require your SSN or tax I'd number so they can send you a 1099

I have stayed dangerously close to that mark the last couple of years...

Collectively pay pal equates to a lot of money's that isn't getting taxed, and you know how the government likes to get their fair share!

The government wants them to report sales receipts so they can tax us?

^ the day I receive that request, is the day I close my account.

EDIT: Just read RG's post and I guess that makes sense. But damn them.....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly only have a paypal account for the once-every-6-months purchase on ebay...

I suppose due to this site I use it more than I should, I need to create a better way to collect from vendors though. but its pretty effective..

Back