Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay Cut for me. My wife is staying home with our baby. Although she was going to do that anyway.

So, finally got my raise. 4%. I can't believe that my employer thought that giving me such a small raise would somehow make me feel okay. I have typically gotten that for a regular annual raise, not for something so significant. Based on my market value in my neck of the woods, I believe that I am worth about 15% more, minimum. I knew my employer would lowball me, but I had thought 7% or so would have been worse case. With only 4%, I'm floored.

Can we say, "Hello Resume". It has been updated and it now has wings. Already sat for one interview with full intentions of sitting for more soon. I just want to be paid fair market value, its not like I am asking to be in the top 10%, average would be fine for now.

Who else is having this problem? Everyone says that you must change employers when you get your PE, that doing so is the only way to get the correct income. I had hoped my employer would be different.

I work for State Government, got around 7%. Tough to complain considering the hiring and pay increase freeze.

how much is average salaries for a PE? In private industries (big companies as well mom & pop shop)? In state govt?

Lets play devils advocate:

It all depends on what you bring to the table for your employer. If your day to day tasks do not change after you get the PE, why should they pay you more? I understand you may be worth more to a new employer, but I dont think company A should pay you more just because company B will, especially if you dont bring anything new to the table.

If you want a raise from your current employer, make yourself more valuable. Take on the responsibility of being a design lead, project manager, take a more involved role with the company. Adding 2 letters to your name is worthless if you just stay a CAD-monkey.

Also, is a PE necessary in your line of work? Some industries and employers dont want and/or require a PE. Look at construction, despite needing a civil degree to get some of the jobs, you are not needed to get your PE to get promoted to superintendent or higher. My first employer (heavy highway contractor) actually discouraged engineers from getting their PE, because it would mean they would leave since the contractor let it be known they wouldnt give pay raises.

Also, what it the current state of your employer and industry? If you work for a land development consultant right now, they may be doing everything they can just to not crash. If there has been a 2+ year pay/hire freeze, how do you think the other employees would feel if you're demanding 10% or more without doing anything new for them?

The company i worked for when i got my PE wasnt able to give an immediate raise because the projects i was working on had me at a contracted EIT rate. My responsibilities didnt change, my company wasnt billing me out for any more, and was actually losing money because they had to add me to their liability insurance. When i talked with my boss after passing, he explained all of this to me and let me know that as soon as we started on a new project i would get a raise (10% raise received 3 months later).

My point: look at the whole picture before you trash your current employer. If after that you still want more (both more $ amd more responsibility), then talk with your boss and explain yourself.

Lets play devils advocate:
It all depends on what you bring to the table for your employer. If your day to day tasks do not change after you get the PE, why should they pay you more? I understand you may be worth more to a new employer, but I dont think company A should pay you more just because company B will, especially if you dont bring anything new to the table.

If you want a raise from your current employer, make yourself more valuable. Take on the responsibility of being a design lead, project manager, take a more involved role with the company. Adding 2 letters to your name is worthless if you just stay a CAD-monkey.

Also, is a PE necessary in your line of work? Some industries and employers dont want and/or require a PE. Look at construction, despite needing a civil degree to get some of the jobs, you are not needed to get your PE to get promoted to superintendent or higher. My first employer (heavy highway contractor) actually discouraged engineers from getting their PE, because it would mean they would leave since the contractor let it be known they wouldnt give pay raises.

Also, what it the current state of your employer and industry? If you work for a land development consultant right now, they may be doing everything they can just to not crash. If there has been a 2+ year pay/hire freeze, how do you think the other employees would feel if you're demanding 10% or more without doing anything new for them?

The company i worked for when i got my PE wasnt able to give an immediate raise because the projects i was working on had me at a contracted EIT rate. My responsibilities didnt change, my company wasnt billing me out for any more, and was actually losing money because they had to add me to their liability insurance. When i talked with my boss after passing, he explained all of this to me and let me know that as soon as we started on a new project i would get a raise (10% raise received 3 months later).

My point: look at the whole picture before you trash your current employer. If after that you still want more (both more $ amd more responsibility), then talk with your boss and explain yourself.

good reasoning. I agree totally. Its real simple, you want changes? make it happen, do not wait for it to come and get piss later when it never comes. Seeking new employment is nothing new. If you can find something better. take it.

""My point: look at the whole picture before you trash your current employer. ""

- who is trashing their employer? everyone is simply explaining their situation. no bashing from what I am seeing :beat:

It was just a general statement. Ive seen enough of these threads to know it will happen.

So, finally got my raise. 4%. I can't believe that my employer thought that giving me such a small raise would somehow make me feel okay. I have typically gotten that for a regular annual raise, not for something so significant. Based on my market value in my neck of the woods, I believe that I am worth about 15% more, minimum. I knew my employer would lowball me, but I had thought 7% or so would have been worse case. With only 4%, I'm floored.
Can we say, "Hello Resume". It has been updated and it now has wings. Already sat for one interview with full intentions of sitting for more soon. I just want to be paid fair market value, its not like I am asking to be in the top 10%, average would be fine for now.

Who else is having this problem? Everyone says that you must change employers when you get your PE, that doing so is the only way to get the correct income. I had hoped my employer would be different.
Update: I did have to get a new job. Quite ridiculous if you ask me. Compensation is 18% more than I was making last year (that was without negotiating) and over 13% more than my old place was willing to pay. Now, the old place is looking for someone to replace me and will end up paying them more than the 10% raise I would have accepted, while low I would have called it fair. Makes no sense at all! Why must employers do this us employees? I don't understand how this helps them.

I was re-hired in 2006 at my current office, and got one raise before the economy tanked. Since then, I've become much more qualified, having obtained my WA E.I.T. and P.E. in Oct. 2008/April 2009 respectively. Yes, consecutive testing periods. I'd been trying to qualify for the Oregon EI by experience only (8 years required) when I learned that WA only requires 4 years for EIT and 4 more for licensure.

I just received my first raise since 2007; 22%, but it's still not enough to put me at the same pay I was at in 2007 (I was full, now part, time).

Thankfully, we live in a Capitalistic economy. This means if an employee doesn't like their job, they are free to seek work elsewhere. An employer has no obligation to give a raise but this can also be a risk for them. An employer doesn't give raises or good compensation to be nice, they do it to be competitive within the market.

At our company we have a $5000 flat raise for everyone that obtains the first PE! It's OK if you are at the beggining of your career, 4-5 yrs. But is not great if you already have 10-15 years in the business.

Out of curiousity those that received a raise from passing the PE, did your salary get bumped up to at least 60k? Mine didn't unfortunately, but at the same time we don't have alot of work going on right now but it's slowly turning around so I do feel lucky I did receive something for passing the PE though. Plus side from my job is my health benefits and other miscellaneous benefits are top notch.

The other question is what should a brand new PE be actually making in terms of salary? I always thought it should be at least 65k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I knew I wouldn't get an immediate pay raise, but I was told that my promotion would come sooner!

Not really expecting a raise due to a company wide salary freeze. But I'll have some grocery/gas money, since the company reimburses us the $255 exam fee if we pass.

We get promotions and pay raises where I work now, because the PE is valued.

Where I worked previously (in Telecom), nobody cared about having a PE. Because of that, it was many years before I even took the PE and passed (April 2011) as there was no PE to supervise me.

Nevertheless, I personally think it has value - simply because you don't know what the future will hold. Also, it takes someone with a good bit of self-discipline to put in all the EXTRA time preparing for the exam (about 10 months for me).

Even if it takes multiple times to pass it, that shows perseverance and strength - 2 very good qualities.

Finally, I found PE prep to have a lot of practical knowledge in it - so I learned some things.

In short, I think in the final analysis (at some point in time) passing it will help (IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiousity those that received a raise from passing the PE, did your salary get bumped up to at least 60k? Mine didn't unfortunately, but at the same time we don't have alot of work going on right now but it's slowly turning around so I do feel lucky I did receive something for passing the PE though. Plus side from my job is my health benefits and other miscellaneous benefits are top notch.
The other question is what should a brand new PE be actually making in terms of salary? I always thought it should be at least 65k.
That depends on where you live. I made more then 65k without a PE. Now that I passed, I hope to get about 7-10k more

Where you live is important...your experience is also important. Without knowing what someones experience/field just telling us your salary really is not much help.

I have four years experience and just passed my PE, on my first try thankfully, work in roadway design and make $59k. My company gives a $1000 bonus for passing the PE, I am not sure about the raise yet, I am hoping for one though.

Back