Parents, don't let your kids grow up to be engineers!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit of a fighter, and I tend to get my point across by about the fifth round...I'm working on that. I'd like to wrap it up by the first.

"More than two-thirds of women still think men resent powerful women, yet women are more likely than men to say female bosses are harder to work for than male ones. Men are much more likely to say there are no longer any barriers to female advancement, while a majority of women say men still have it better in life."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages...1930309,00.html #ixzz1RNNZ4vVK

I never thought to google this stuff...just kinda knew it was happening around me...

But it has been great to bring it up, and understand that I have to present the facts and back my argument up. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks EB!

It isn't always one way, with gender bias....

example:

my Wife works full time (is primary bread-winner, has out earned me 12 straight years now), and I am proud of her work and what she does. It has never bothered me at all, except maybe this once..

I was walking my daughter to the front door of the school one day, and while holding my hand, looks up and says "Dad, when are you going to get a GOOD job so that Mommy doesn't have to work?"

Talk about being kicked in the nads.

I'd say that question may even trump a co-worker saying to a female engineer "Who's watching your kids?"

It's very harsh coming from a Kindergartener (at the time). Come to find out, one of the other students' Mom would come in to read to class all the time, and when my daughter asked her how she can come to class all the time, she said "So-and-so's Daddy has a really good job and I don't have to work", but didn't find this out until after questioning my wife on what kind of $h!t she was feeding our kids. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope my soon to be wife gets a really good job so I don't have to work. Collecting from the couch has always been a dream of mine. Restoring vintage sports cars in my garage while wifey is out working hard bringing home the bacon would be ideal. I've told her that any business I start will be hers for the tax breaks and gov benefits!

I'm a stay at home son
I have a stay at (my mother's) home brother. It's ridiculous. He causes me issues.

He's half a decade (give or take) older than I am, was almost a National Merit Scholar, was able to go to a decent private college (between my parent's payments, the loans, and a scholarship), and doesn't have the same "social issues" I do. Yet he's still living at my mother's home, not working, living off her largesse. He's had decent jobs handed to him (drafter at my father's residential design co.), and never made anything of them. Didn't even bother trying to learn.

But by god, he's never accepted any sort of handout!

Yes, seriously. We were talking politics a few weeks ago, and the point was raised that welfare is screwed up... and he was very proud of the fact that he "wasn't a drain on society". I literally started choking; last time I discuss that topic over lunch...

/mini-rant over

Edit: Oh yeah, and my wife and I both work; I of course as an engineer/designer, her as an independent contractor working from home. When it's possible to survive reasonably well with a single income, one of us will probably stop working. Which one is still somewhat up for debate. We don't have kids, and probably never will. So that's not an issue for us.

(And contrary to the common picture, yes, it is possible to make money as an independent contractor - last year, she made more than I did.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit of a fighter, and I tend to get my point across by about the fifth round...I'm working on that. I'd like to wrap it up by the first
So, I looked at bias in a different way - statistically, and found that women do end up on the short end of the stick based on the Stable Marriage Problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable_marriage_problem

The stable solution yields a more favorable solution for the Gentleman (proposer) than the woman.

And, if want to watch the bias unfold in mathmatical form, I provide you with the graphical solution to the Gale-Shapely Algorithm:

Gale-Shapley.gif

JR

I really hope my soon to be wife gets a really good job so I don't have to work. Collecting from the couch has always been a dream of mine. Restoring vintage sports cars in my garage while wifey is out working hard bringing home the bacon would be ideal. I've told her that any business I start will be hers for the tax breaks and gov benefits!
Wait, have you met my husband? Have you seen the picture of my garage?

My company has lots of women. Let us say that they like diversity so much that the ratio of women:men in management is 1:1.

Sadly for the company half of the management staff are idiots...and the other half too.

My company has lots of women. Let us say that they like diversity so much that the ratio of women:men in management is 1:1.
Sadly for the company half of the management staff are idiots...and the other half too.
You must work where I work. It is frustrating when many in management may have no more than a GED, and I have two master degrees and no openings.

My company can beat up your company. :p
36000ish and 2000ish respectively.
Um...we have a lot of heavy machinery? :)
We have 8 gas turbines with rotors weighing 50 tons each (not including the generators) and 5 steam turbines with rotors between 20 and 30 tons each (w/o generators).

If your heavy machinery is bigger, then I congratulate thee. Otherwise... well... :p

Back