Other post office ideas for change

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliminating Saturday delivery, do you care?

• Nope, don't get anything but junk on Saturday anyway

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • As long as there are post offices open on Saturday I don't care that delivery is stopped on Satu

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Heck yea, i want my mail everyday...I can't wait an extra day to get my junk mail

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Other than trying to eliminate Saturday delivery again, now they are looking at getting rid of door to door delivery.

We haven't had door to door delivery since I lived at home with my parents. We have always had a curb side mail box, so that change wouldn't bother me, not sure why they haven't made that change sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than trying to eliminate Saturday delivery again, now they are looking at getting rid of door to door delivery.

We haven't had door to door delivery since I lived at home with my parents. We have always had a curb side mail box, so that change wouldn't bother me, not sure why they haven't made that change sooner.

It isn't a curbside mailbox for each house...it is one mailbox for an entire area. Think apartment mailboxes.

That's a sucky idea.

the article I read was looking at both curbside and neighborhood, with the neighborhood obviuously saving more money

I don't like the idea of community boxes. When I lived in an apartment and had a package they'd leave it at the office and I'd have to get there when the office was open.

There's a lot of areas that don't have delivery period. You have to go to the post office to pick up your mail. Again, this really sucks when you get a package because you have to get there when the office is open.

I would MUCH rather they get rid of Saturday delivery.

I think just for fun we should all just remove our mailboxes as an act of defiance I don't giving important through there anyways

It would be funny to see what they did with everyone's mail

ok my quote function isn;t working today....as far as packages with the neighborhood box it would depend on the size of the package. My sisters apartment community mailbox had lower boxes that are huge that the mail person puts the package in then puts the key in the mailbox of the person to get on their own. THey leave the key in the box until the next day and the mail person takes the key back.

ok my quote function isn;t working today....as far as packages with the neighborhood box it would depend on the size of the package. My sisters apartment community mailbox had lower boxes that are huge that the mail person puts the package in then puts the key in the mailbox of the person to get on their own. THey leave the key in the box until the next day and the mail person takes the key back.

Yeah, my apartment complex was like that too--yet my packages were still bigger than the receptacle .

I'm all for scrapping Saturday mail delivery, but would still want packages to be delivered.

I think I would be okay scrapping the post office all together in urban & suburban areas...

Most new developments here in CO use a neighborhood box (including mine). This has been a standard for at least the last 15 years. It isn't an issue for me, probably because the box is across the street, but I wouldn't have an issue if it was down the blook either.

I really don't get anything important in the mail. Sure we still get the occasional bill, magazine, or card, but 95% of what I get ends up in the trashcan within 5 minutes.

When it comes to packages, the neighborhood boxes have 3 "package" boxes with their own keys. If you get a package, the delivery guy/gal will put the key for that box into yours. If it doesn't fit, they will just drop it off on your doorstep.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if the door-to-door service went away. I probably wouldn't mind if their delivery service was reduced to 3 days a week either (provided the offices remained open).

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as packages with the neighborhood box it would depend on the size of the package.

I completely agree. It could be painful for both the delivery person and the recipient If the package is too big for the box. Similarly, if the package is too small (or the box too big) it probably isn't wortht he effort to deliver it in the first place.

I guess using an neighborhood box would be ok, as long as eveyone got along well, if folks start getting "clique-ish" with the box. feeling could get hurt.

Can't answer the poll as my mailbox is at the end of the road, along with everyone else's for the entire road (all 30+ of us). Not really a neighborhood box as we all have individual boxes as the rural carrier won't go down our road. As for packages, if they don't fit in the box, we get a delivery notice and have to go to the local post office to pick it up.

Then again, most of us have switched to a locking style mailbox as we've been having mail theft issues recently. Guess someone was PO'd about mine, they ripped the outer door off and tried to pry it open at one point. They would have just gotten a netflix movie outta there. A couple of rivets and the door is attached & working.

I could care less if they stop Saturday delivery.

I think the solution is this:

If you want to deliver anything other than a thick envelope, use UPS or Fed Ex. restrict the government from sending anything but letters , magazines, and envelopes, after all isnt this competing with private enterprise?

Then if you are having a package delivered, you know it will usually get there (cost is really about the same) via UPS or Fed-Ex, etc

^that doesn't work in the rural world. Post office delivers ups and fed ex packages. They drop off at the local postoffice to be delivered with the mail. the only way for fedex or ups to deliver to the house is next day or freigt sort of stuff.

The Constitution only provides you for life liberty and the pursuit of happiness not regular mail:)

There losing $16 Billion a year. But there is help coming because Congress is working on it! And I am sure they will do the right thing!

Back