Oscar Picks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyasw02

Reaction score
What are your Oscar picks prior to today's ceremony? I've been trying to catch up on the nominated films (havent seen all of them yet), but I'm going with:

King's Speech - best picture and director

Actor - Colin Firth

Supporting Actor - Christian Bale

Actress - Natalie Portman

Supporting Actress - Melissa Leo

I haven't seen any of these movies except "The Social Network" which I saw yesterday. All I can say is that I think the story is interesting but the movie was really annoying. Aaron Sorkin's frenetic dialog really grates on me, especially since "The West Wing."

The only movies of the bunch I'm interested in seeing are The Fighter and True Grit - which I'll eventually see on video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen any of these movies except "The Social Network" which I saw yesterday. All I can say is that I think the story is interesting but the movie was really annoying. Aaron Sorkin's frenetic dialog really grates on me, especially since "The West Wing."
The only movies of the bunch I'm interested in seeing are The Fighter and True Grit - which I'll eventually see on video.
Saw The Fighter last night. I really dont like sports movies, but I thought that the movie was amazing. If King's Speech wasnt on the ballot this year, I'd have to give The Fighter a good bet at winning it. True Grit was really good also, but where it really shines is when you compare it to the old version.

Best Movie: one I havent seen

Best actor: probably someone I havent heard of

Best actress: some bimbo

In other words: I dont care. :p

Best Movie: one I havent seenBest actor: probably someone I havent heard of

What he said. A bunch of overpaid, undertalented assholes getting together to fellate each other and give out awards doesn't interest me in the least.

Best Movie: one I havent seenBest actor: probably someone I havent heard of

What he said. A bunch of overpaid, undertalented assholes getting together to fellate each other and give out awards doesn't interest me in the least.
Yeah. A bunch of overpaid, untalented etc. etc. who make fatty money with probably .25 of our IQ. Add to that, they have a life that we can only dream about. Life can get back at you very hard sometimes. I guess that is the price we have to pay for doing what we were supposed to do or what we wanted to do.

Add to that, they have a life that we can only dream about.
I honestly wouldn't want to live that life. Almost all of your friendships and relationships are superficial. You have paparazzi in your face constantly. You are exposed to a lifestyle that will bring you to a quick demise (alcohol, drugs, etc.). You have to deal with nutjob fans that range from just wanting to see you to wanting to kill you. You can't go out in public without being stopped for pictures, autographs, handshakes, etc. from complete strangers.

I would hate it. I'm not sure if the amount of money they make is worth it.

I honestly wouldn't want to live that life. Almost all of your friendships and relationships are superficial. You have paparazzi in your face constantly. You are exposed to a lifestyle that will bring you to a quick demise (alcohol, drugs, etc.). You have to deal with nutjob fans that range from just wanting to see you to wanting to kill you. You can't go out in public without being stopped for pictures, autographs, handshakes, etc. from complete strangers.

I dont think it's that bad and I think the paparazzi thing is a bit exaggerated. The paparazzi dont follow around celebs who dont act like idiots because the normal ones don't sell magazines.

Regarding the Oscars - I generally dont watch the ceremonies because 1. I dont like award ceremonies, 2. I dont even like ceremonies when I get an award, 3. They dont put award ceremonies for me on TV 4. Their awards come with a lot of zeros at the end of their checks. I do however like to see the results just to see if I get my picks right.

On a separate note, it looks like a lot of people dont like actors, but how about athletes? Equally overpaid, and worthless, but give an illiterate person a ball and suddenly he's a role model.

I dont think it's that bad and I think the paparazzi thing is a bit exaggerated. The paparazzi dont follow around celebs who dont act like idiots because the normal ones don't sell magazines.

Regarding the Oscars - I generally dont watch the ceremonies because 1. I dont like award ceremonies, 2. I dont even like ceremonies when I get an award, 3. They dont put award ceremonies for me on TV 4. Their awards come with a lot of zeros at the end of their checks. I do however like to see the results just to see if I get my picks right.

On a separate note, it looks like a lot of people dont like actors, but how about athletes? Equally overpaid, and worthless, but give an illiterate person a ball and suddenly he's a role model.
As far as the oscars. I think it's great that the industry has an awards night to rate their work by, for and against each other. I just don't understand the interest the general public seems to have in it. I believe that it's mostly driven by media hype and advertising telling the sheep (the American public) that if you don't "participate" then you're not cool. Kind of like the hype for the SuperBowl.

yep there's a lot of parallels between entertainers be they actors, musicians or athletes.

My wife and daughter are transfixed right now watching The Oscars. Wife has always watched. Me, I couldn't care less.

I don't think I saw any movies that have been nominated. I did go see Last Airbender with my son though. It did pretty well at its award show. Deservedly so. :)

http://razzies.com/history/11winners.asp

Sounds like one of my old Friday nights back in Houston! Just scratch out autographs.

I think I watched more of the Oscar's last night then I have watched all other Academy Awards ceremonies combined. It wasn't really by choice. We were over at a neighbors and they had it on. I did get to see the very awkward segment with Kurt Douglas. It's great that the guy is still kicking, but that segment was just a bit to long and seemed out of place.

Other then that we didn't pay much attention to the ceremony. It was just on in the background. We did joke about the acceptance speeches when they would get cut off by the music. That seems like it could be turned into a fun drinking game.

I learned a LONG time ago that I didn't have anything in common with the ones that select for these awards, so I don't follow it at all. I did have to endure about 5 minutes of news covering this event, and I'll never get that time back! :mf_grenade:

Don't forget that they also have the Film Actor's Guild awards.
That's one of my favorite parts of that movie. As overt as it is, it's one of the most subtle jabs in the movie.

Don't forget that they also have the Film Actor's Guild awards.
That's one of my favorite parts of that movie. As overt as it is, it's one of the most subtle jabs in the movie.
That whole movie is great. Every time I see something about North Korea on the news I can't help thinking the Hans Brix lines.

i think it is sort of funny that twice in recent history the winner of the supporting actress got knocked up during/around the filming of a dance/music related movie.

Natalie portman for blackswan

catherine zeta jones for Chicago

Back