one more stupid SOB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

traffic

I'm telling you if I have one more knucklehead call me to solve their damn hatfield and mccoy squabble I'm going to lose it!!!!!!! :2cents:

And another if I had a dollar for everytime someone says "how many people have to die before they get a traffic signal?" I could retire to tahiti!!

:thumbs:

you should list the signal warrants on your voicemail.

Last edited by a moderator:
A signal could have prevented this tragedy...

TrafficAccident.jpg

PS - frazil you are a sick one.

^^^that is a sad pic.

Frazil is not far off. When I worked as a contractor for the FAA, they do cost benefit analysis for safety improvements based on projected loss of life. take the design aircraft, how many seats, $1.5mill a person (that was 10 years ago), probabilty of a wreck per # of operations. vs cost of improvement and service life of improvements. now THAT is sick.

now I am looking at these tall 1:1 slopes w/ no shoulder, asking for guardrail, and I'm told that no one has been killed there... YET :thumbs:

and why did that overlay fall short of the existing EOI, and no shouldering was done????

^^^that is a sad pic.
Frazil is not far off. When I worked as a contractor for the FAA, they do cost benefit analysis for safety improvements based on projected loss of life. take the design aircraft, how many seats, $1.5mill a person (that was 10 years ago), probabilty of a wreck per # of operations. vs cost of improvement and service life of improvements. now THAT is sick.

now I am looking at these tall 1:1 slopes w/ no shoulder, asking for guardrail, and I'm told that no one has been killed there... YET :thumbs:
I don't think that is sick, just a fact of life. you have to put some quantity on a life when you are dealing with limited resources while trying to maximize the benefits to the community as a whole.

When I worked at the county engineers office, somebody actually did that. One of the crew guys was out somewhere and someone started giving them an earful about how bad some intersection was. When he asked the guy how many people had to die before they'd fix the intersection, the crew guy just said "7".

The funniest part was when thperson apparently called in to the office to say something because the county engineer was storming up and down the hallway hollering "what stupid son-of-a-bitch said '7'". It was really hard to keep a straight face.

You know, I'm kinda thinking something with a decimal place in it makes it sound much colder. "4.3" or something like that. Instead of some smartass comment, it makes it sound like someone actually performed a study on acceptable loss of life.
I just get so tired of people that want a signal at their street but don't want to have to stop at any others. I've had papers misquote me before and sya like 19 people were killed here before I would do something and I have to ask them DO THEY REALLY BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT IS WRITTEN IN THE PAPER!

would it kill people to make a right, then go 1/4 mile to the next left turn lane and make a u-turn!

instead of risking life and limb to make a left! Thats what I do & encourage people to do in my neighborhood.

I live in a subdivision off of a major 4 lane (urban aterial) that has been begging the county for a signal, I got suckered in because someone found out I was an "engineer"

I told them it wouldnt meet signal warrants, but what it really needed was enforcement along the 4 lane so people would slow down so you could safely make a left turn. now people bitch about all the cops that sit out on the street and write tickets (cause they haul ass down the road too, but only slow down because they have to turn into our subdivision)

If I get that county job I am going to have to change my name or move so i dont have to deal with my own idiotic homeowners association.

would it kill people to make a right, then go 1/4 mile to the next left turn lane and make a u-turn!
instead of risking life and limb to make a left! Thats what I do & encourage people to do in my neighborhood.

I live in a subdivision off of a major 4 lane (urban aterial) that has been begging the county for a signal, I got suckered in because someone found out I was an "engineer"

I told them it wouldnt meet signal warrants, but what it really needed was enforcement along the 4 lane so people would slow down so you could safely make a left turn. now people bitch about all the cops that sit out on the street and write tickets (cause they haul ass down the road too, but only slow down because they have to turn into our subdivision)

If I get that county job I am going to have to change my name or move so i dont have to deal with my own idiotic homeowners association.
Unfortunately they will find out. You must try to change your looks every 2-3 weeks to keep them guessing. That will get you a year or two. Once my neighborhood found out what I do, I became the sounding board for every signal that didn't go their way or if they happened to have run a redlight a got a ticket its all my fault for sure. Your lucky you can get the police out to enforce anything every time I request our dept. they tell me they don't have the staff.

Back