Old Video Games

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atari - Seaquest ( I still have a working Atari btw) but saw on pawn stars it wasnt worth much

Nintendo - Contra (used to play for days........)

This came free with my first computer! My Compaq also came with an Encarta encyclopedia and a racing game...POD or something?
DUDE! We got a Compaq too (when I was 15?) that had the Encarta encyclopedia with it. It was a 486 SX2/66. It came with 2 MB of RAM, but I convinced my dad to buy an additional 2 MB (for $80!!!) so I could play Doom on it. It was the model that was the monitor / CD-ROM / floppy / speaker all-in-one-unit thingy. 14-inch SVGA (?) monitors were big back then.

Atari - Seaquest ( I still have a working Atari btw) but saw on pawn stars it wasnt worth much
I've got an Atari 7800 and a few (including some prototypes that never were marketed) games that I bought at a yard sale. And a Sega Oddysee that I won in a raffle (still boxed). But the oldest is a Paddle IV tennis game from the mid seventies.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
There were several series from (Sierra?) like that.

Space Quest, Police Quest, King's Quest, etc.
List of Sierra's games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierr...ent_video_games
I actually just heard recently that the "Nancy Drew" series of kid's games has that style of gameplay. Apparently it's generally considered "too kiddie" these days (though how, not sure... 7th guest or whatever it was called seemed rather adult).
This genre of games is usually called "adventure games," and in their heyday the two major producers of these games were Sierra and LucasArts. I always preferred the Sierra games because they included death scenes whereas the LucasArts games did not (I thought those were some of the funniest parts of the Sierra games). But some of the most beloved of these games were made by LucasArts (Monkey Island series, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis).

I think my favorite "adventure game" series of all was neither Sierra nor LucasArts. That would be the Broken Sword series. The protagonist, George Stobbart, has a sarcastic sense of humor that would probably appeal to many people on the board here, and the games themselves are great world-hopping adventures featuring Templars and cults and all sorts of colorful characters.

As for being "too kiddie," I agree, some of these games were definitely intended for more mature audiences. I think these types of games are still made, but usually not by the major studios. I think most people buying the high-end video game systems today are usually looking for past-paced shooters with great graphics and games they can play with their friends online. I just think adventure games are more of a niche market, since the games are slower-paced and don't have all those flashy graphics.

Back in the day ('90-96-ish):-Chrono Trigger

-Final Fantasy 3 / VI (3 US, VI Japan/US re-release)

-Final Fantasy 2 / IV

-Dragon Warrior 3

-Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the SNES version... III? IV?)

-Super Metroid

I still play Chrono Trigger and those two Final Fantasy games sometimes, but rarely.
Anybody ever play Skies of Arcadia? It was a little later, but that is probably my favorite RPG of all. I also enjoyed the Lunar games.

Chrono Trigger is awesome. B)

Let's see, as for old NES games:

Mario 1 and 3 (I never owned 2, although I beat it at a friend's house)

Tecmo Bowl

Zelda

Bionic Commando

Contra and Life Force (yay for Konami code!)

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (I beat everybody but Mike)

Super NES:

Street Fighter 2

Super Mario World

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Castlevania IV

Skies of Arcadia was an amazing game, but is it old school? Sorry, I can't fathom Dreamcast games as being old school unless of course they are ports of earlier games.

I would think old school to be '70s to '80s.

Of course the generation entering college today never was without a playstation or its era of games. I remember it taking me a good 5-6 years to warm up to the idea of a video game being on a disc.

EDIT: nevermind, the title says old video games, not old school. I'm off base.

Last edited by a moderator:
This came free with my first computer! My Compaq also came with an Encarta encyclopedia and a racing game...POD or something?
DUDE! We got a Compaq too (when I was 15?) that had the Encarta encyclopedia with it. It was a 486 SX2/66. It came with 2 MB of RAM, but I convinced my dad to buy an additional 2 MB (for $80!!!) so I could play Doom on it. It was the model that was the monitor / CD-ROM / floppy / speaker all-in-one-unit thingy. 14-inch SVGA (?) monitors were big back then.
We still had an Apple IIgs at home when I got my Compaq for college. I remember being impressed that the speakers attached to the sides of the monitor on the Compaq. That was around the time that Apple launched these things and they looked so cool:

bondi_imac_160.jpg

We still had an Apple IIgs at home when I got my Compaq for college. I remember being impressed that the speakers attached to the sides of the monitor on the Compaq. That was around the time that Apple launched these things and they looked so cool:
bondi_imac_160.jpg
My roommates bought one of those. They ended up never using it, and eventually gave it to my wife and myself... who never used it. Except for our (now very outdated) catalog of books.)

bondi_imac_160.jpg
the computer labs in college were FULL of those things.

bondi_imac_160.jpg
the computer labs in college were FULL of those things.
Really? Everything was IBM PC when I went to college. The Apples were in HS computer labs.

I think that's why I always liked the PC over the Apple. I always associated the Apple with a lower level of education.

^I'm not sure when Macs went from the dorky thing you played Oregon Trail on during computer lab hour in grade school, to this super trendy thing everyone had to have.

I have an iMac, and I love it, but it's just a computer not a status symbol.

Back