Officials: Throw Away Food from BBQ Fundraiser

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina's health agency is warning coastal residents not to eat any leftovers from a barbecue fundraiser over the weekend.
State Department of Health and Environmental Control officials said Tuesday that at least five people who ate food from a Friday fundraiser in Conway have been hospitalized. They say throw the food away.

Regional health director Covia Stanley says the meals were prepared at a local hunting club and sold at Cedar Grove Baptist Church in Conway.

She says the barbecue pork, sweet potatoes, cole slaw and rolls were sold to benefit the family of an ill child.

She says anyone who ate the food and becomes sick with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and cramping should call their doctor.

Samples of the food are being analyzed.
How ironic.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyi...mp;provider=top

They don't make real BBQ up there anyway. They oughta throw ALL of SC's BBQ out.

(THAT oughta bring Chuck to the thread, ha ha)

The funny thing about BBQ in SC is that there are three distinct and separate types. SC seems to be the conflence of several regional favorites.

Gotta be honest, not a big BBQ guy. I'll throw some burgers on the grill on the weekend, but rarely have much more than that.

I went some southern style BBQ place a few months back and got the meat sweats. Wasn't fun.

I can understand how you can get sick from the side dishes but really how bad could your methods be to make BBQ that made people ill?

I mean you are smoking the meat right? I know after I make BBQ here at home it seems to keep forever in the fridge to no ill effect. That tells me that little is left bacteria wise in the food.

I guess if they totally undercooked it but real BBQ is falling off the bones.

I wouldn't eat ribs that weren't really done because they would be all tough, as with most BBQ cuts.

Could have been the dairy in the cole slaw too.

We had a plant celebration for meeting some safety goals about 5 years ago. I was on the team to select the celebration. We chose to have a BBQ from a local group. They came in and SMOKED some hamburgers and hotdogs for us.

Have you ever eaten a SMOKED hamburger. It looks raw inside, when it's not.

Didn't go over very well, a lot of people complained about the burgers not being done.

Live and learn.

I can understand how you can get sick from the side dishes but really how bad could your methods be to make BBQ that made people ill?
Handling cooked food where there is raw meat juices? Handling the food after you just picked some goober out of your ass? It's easy to be dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think you just spoiled my appetite. I might lose a few extra pounds if I come back and read this thread more often.

I went some southern style BBQ place a few months back and got the meat sweats. Wasn't fun.

When it's time to die, this is how I want to go. Maybe throw in a case of the seafood sweats as well.

Back