Office mangers that are couldn't manage their way out of a box!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt72

Reaction score
My office manager couldn't manage his way out of a box. After laying off 2 outstanding people in the past two weeks and a total of 4 people in the last 3 months this guy gives a presentation to whats left of our office yesterday. Basically he has put everything on the existing staff to stay billable. His only job is to manage and interview seller doers to hire to bring in more work. Not that he would think to bring some more work in himself. In a total of 5 years he has brought in about $3,000 in work himself. The rest has been his staff which is in the millions. One other thing to note the office has been open for five years and has never turned a profit or broke even. Also, he said that he would take swift action on anyone in the office with a negative attitude. Basically implying that he would let anyone go if they have a bad attitude. To make this more interesting here is his daily work schedule:

Office 7:30 to 8:30

Gym and take kids to school 8:30 to 10:30 :smileyballs:

Office 10:30 to 11:45

Lunch 11:45 to 1:30

Office 1:30 to 4:30

Done for the day at 4:30

So thats a total of 5 hours and 15 minutes per day. While everyone else is expected to work 40++++. I will also mention he is a geologist not an engineer!!!

In this down economy our company is doing very well. We are the only office that is tanking. What is a good engineer to do??????

I agree. F' that guy. Send him exactly what you wrote here and tell him to go F' himself. Why his business is failing. He probably thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course, you could always send an anonymous e-mail to HIS boss...

but the writing is on the wall. If that office hasn't been profitable in 5 years, the company has a whole IS WITHOUT A DOUBT looking at dumping it. The company would be irresponsible to not be looking into all aspects of dropping that office, because it may be what's best for the other offices.

You need to get a step ahead, and be putting your resume' out there right now.

I agree with everyone else, you need to be looking for another job. It would be nice to be able to tell a guy like that to go F' himself too!

Look for another job, then quit spectacularly.
n+1

Of course, you could always send an anonymous e-mail to HIS boss...
n+1

You need to get a step ahead, and be putting your resume' out there right now.
I was in a similar spot in 2004 with a manager that told the only guy bringing in work that he was no longer allowed to do marketing. They were pissed at me because my "I quit" paperwork was about six weeks ahead of their "we're laying you off" paperwork.

Thanks all for reading my rant and chiming in. Believe me the the resumes have been going out!!!!! And once i have something lined up the big F*$* YOU will be heading his way. Ah the magic that will come from that day. YAAAA!!!!! :party-smiley-048:

Thanks all for reading my rant and chiming in. Believe me the the resumes have been going out!!!!! And once i have something lined up the big F*$* YOU will be heading his way. Ah the magic that will come from that day. YAAAA!!!!! :party-smiley-048:
I planned that for my last job where my boss was a complete asshat. But my common sense won out and I decided not to burn a bridge at a place that held the majority of my professional experience (4 out of 6 years). But, in your situation, it sounds like you could get good references from more technical staff...and telling off the idiot boss will actually help your reputation amongst them.

Of course you could always take the passive aggressive tack and just not show up one day. See how long it takes Mr. Idiot Boss to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As tempting as it may be, I would be very careful about blowing up the bridge on your way out. I know of at least one instance of a resignation letter resulting in the current employer almost succeeding in fouling up the guy's new job. I have also observed that I keep bumping into the same people I've worked with at other places.

I work with Wyatt and I can assure you that he is right about the office manager being a dickhead. In fact it is probably worse than he described.

I am a retired engineer from Lockheed Martin. I joined the consulting firm about the same time as Wyatt as a part time job just to have something to do but this office manager has been such an asshole that it is not fun to work there.

I told him off a couple of years ago when I was working on a project and I asked for his help. He wouldn't help at all simply because he hates the idea of actually doing a deliverable. He doesn't want to take any responsibility for anything. He thinks his only job is to pass work on to other people and then blame them if there is a problem. Neither Wyatt or I can understand how he has been able to pull the wool over his management's eyes and not make a profit for five years. That is amazing to me.

One thing about Wyatt. He is one of the hardest working young engineers I have ever seen. He will work his ass off and do a good job. It is too bad that this asshole of an office manager has ruined the chance Wyatt and others to succeed by being a lazy SOB.

Wyatt, I am sick and tired of you and you buddy spending time on the message boards. In light of my 'presentation' day before yesterday, I figured you and Mister "I only work here to have something to do' would have taken the hint and put nose to grindstone.

Office 7:30 to 8:30Gym 8:30 to 10:30

Office 10:30 to 11:45

Lunch 11:45 to 1:30

Office 1:30 to 4:30

Done for the day at 4:30

"I gotta get me one of those."

-Steve Buscemi

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyatt, I am sick and tired of you and you buddy spending time on the message boards. In light of my 'presentation' day before yesterday, I figured you and Mister "I only work here to have something to do' would have taken the hint and put nose to grindstone.
Well Mr Wyatt's Office Manager can I request that if you want me to put the nose to the grindstone you start paying me since I only come in on an on call basis and do not work full time?

By the way I am very pissed at your recovery plan that you presented the other day.

The plan that you presented since you have not made a profit for the office in five years is a joke.

1. Everybody needs to stop being negative.

2. You need to go out and hire some people that bring in business, i.e. sellers-doers.

3. Get other people from the corporation to move their office to your office so that they can cover your overhead.

Instead of suggesting those silly things why don't you put in a full work day for a change and actually get off your ass and help to get some business?

I am really seriously thinking about kicking your ass because of the way you screwed Wyatt and the other good people that work in the office. Since I have a comfortable retirement and don't really need the work then I am not really worrying about losing my part time job.

Back