October 2019 PE Exam - WRE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took EET breadth and depth spring 2018 and passed both.  30 years out of school, first try.  Highly recommend both.  Hang in there - I was stunned I passed and super grateful.  Wishing the same for you all!
Congrats!  I’ve been out of school for 10 years and that seemed like forever 😊.

Not stressing too much yet, only curious what others thought.  I used the breadth reviews to tag the crap out of my CERM and used that for the AM.  Opened other references once.  

I basically used the CERM for PM as well. I referenced a few other books on a couple questions, but not many.  

According to the previous forum posts, passing grades are usually around 51-56. 

Correct me If I am wrong
As far as I (and probably most anyone) can tell, you're spot-on. Trying to guess the cut score more precisely than that is generally an exercise in futility... Especially when you don't actually know what you scored with any reasonable certainty.

Cut score can vary with each cycle and each discipline - I would think higher difficulty exams have lower cut score and vice versa.  If you did your part and studied hard and then at least tried solving most of the problems during the exam without significant number of guesses ( about 5 guesses in the morning and 10 in the afternoon should be ok, both random and educated guesses ) you should be ok and most likely will pass. The exam is designed to have some obscure/super difficult questions so there is no other way around it. To stay positive, think about how many questions you can miss and still pass instead of how many you need answered correctly. For a cut score anywhere from 52-58, you can miss 22+ questions and still pass. That's a lot if you think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I though the morning was tough, but felt OK in general.  The afternoon was pretty brutal.  There were plenty of things I hadn't seen before.  

I took the EET Breadth Review and the School of PE Review.  Both seemed very thought out and organized.  Definitely helped with the AM session.  We'll see how I did on the test before I recommend either 😃 

Those who took the EET depth, did you feel it prepared you for the PM portion?  Not many of the topics I studied seemed to show up. 
I had a similar experience to yours in my Spring 2019 exam. I took both the EET classes for breadth and depth and the Spring 2019 exam was tough in the PM and not as tough in the AM. 

I passed the exam from the first shot.

The EET content was very aligned with both exams even though there were some problems in the exam that were not covered in the binder in the PM part which was expected. I figured out after the exam that some of those -out of EET binder- problems were in some other references recommended by the instructor to have with us in the exam but I didn't get those . Honestly, I like the balance in the binder content, especially it follows the NCEES exam specs. The problem is when NCEES doesn't follow their own specs :)

In my opinion, if the binder is covering 80% of the exam content, that would be great and enough because otherwise the binder would have been 1.5 - 2 times bigger :(  which is not convenient for many people especially those who are working and left school several years back.

In summary, I highly recommend the EET class for both breadth and depth. It is very convenient given my condition of leaving school several years back, studying in addition to working, and my unfamiliarity with some TOUGH topics such as WASTE WATER & WATER QUALITY. 

I wrote a topic regarding my experience with EET and the exam in details right after the exam. You can find it here: 

Are "passes" told at the same time as "fails". I've heard of some people hearing they have failed already while mine still says "results pending". I should note, the fails took the Transportation afternoon session while I took WRE.

Are "passes" told at the same time as "fails". I've heard of some people hearing they have failed already while mine still says "results pending". I should note, the fails took the Transportation afternoon session while I took WRE.
That cannot be true... They release all results at the same time depending on the states you are in.

That cannot be true... They release all results at the same time depending on the states you are in.
I thought the same, so I double checked with whom I heard it from and they reaffirmed. But, I tend to think someone is mistaken on my end. Just thought I'd ask to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I thought the same, so I double checked with whom I heard it from and they reaffirmed. But, I tend to think someone is mistaken on my end. Just thought I'd ask to make sure I wasn't crazy.
Interesting...What state are you in? I hope they are not trolling you...HAHA

@RBHeadge PE can you chime in?

Okay, there is some subtlety here. The short answer is no. People in the same state generally learn if they pass or fail learn at the same time.

The longer version is:

• NCEES will not release the results of the PE exam to the States until every test in that session (all jurisdictions, all disciplines) is scored and graded; and all investigations are complete.
  • When NCEES releases results to a State, it sends the pass/fail and diagnostics for all test takers regardless of pass or fail.

As best I can tell, NCEES does not release the results to all 55 States (and territories) and all international jurisdictions at the exact same time. It appears to gets released in batches over the course of the day. In recent years, this appears to take about 1-3 business days to complete.

[*]NCEES asks the Board for permission to release the results to the examinee. They will not release it to the examinee (i.e. their dashboard) without the Board's permission.

[*]Most States immediately or near immediately grant NCEES permission to release the results to the examinee.

• Pass and Fail Notices will appear on the NCEES dashboard at the same time for a given state.

[*]Some States have internal processes which they want to accomplish first, before they authorize NCEES to release to the examinee.

• These internal processes may include issuing licenses or preparing hard copy letters to the examinee. 

An artifact of above, is that passing examinees can sometimes indirectly learn their fate before the failing examinees.

California is not one of these states
  • NJ, MA, SD, MS are examples of these states. I think ND, DC, and occasionally GA are too.

California

California. I don't believe it to be a case of trolling. More likely misinformation.
I probably know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyways. Did they check their dashboards?

California

California. I don't believe it to be a case of trolling. More likely misinformation.
Are you sure they are not talking about California specific surveying and seismic exams. Those release results every month.

I probably know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyways. Did they check their dashboards?
Not sure they found out through dashboard or not.

Are you sure they are not talking about California specific surveying and seismic exams. Those release results every month.
Definitely PE Civil Exam Transportation afternoon session in California.

Took EET Breadth, felt OK about the AM.

No review course for PM, it was a massacre (to me). Actually struggled on some of the qualitative questions, will review.

Overall, feeling like I'll need to retake. Oh well, I could always use more pencils...
I took EET for both Breath and depth, and I felt both part was hard. I see lot of people are saying the morning part was okay, I don't know why I felt like it was harder for me than afternoon. 

Back