Nontraditional entry level candidate. Resume format?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_injuneer

Reaction score
I am trying to switch careers into structural engineering. My full background is listed in a thread below for anybody who is interested.

Basically, I would like suggestions on how to format my resume. I have three semesters in a BSCE program and I have done excellent.

I also have 9 years experience in Environmental Consulting. Related field. My resume as it stands right now just lists my degrees and the GPAs and then the rest is just all my prior experience. Should I play up the school part more? Mention projects I've done for professors? Mention what I've learned in classes? Mention that I was the top student in a few classes (that one seems kind of cheesy)?

I also have not converted it to a functional resume where you list how the skills you gained in your prior experience would be valid for the field you are switching into. This is because I assume that structural/civil engineers have some idea of what Environmental Consultants do, and they can see how the skills would translate. Of course, I'm going to mention the project management, dealing with government agencies, knowing regulations, and report writing experience foremost.

I know I've asked a lot of questions here. But you guys have been really helpful. Thanks.

It sounds safe to assume you really don't have any tangible engineering experience that would pertain towards structural engineering, therefore a functional resume would really not be applicable for you. Relevant projects, academic or otherwise, are def good on the resume, the other stuff maybe good to bring up in an interview, but not on the resume. :2cents:

I would say an important thing to include would be in the cover letter, make sure you indicate your desire to switch fields and explain in the letter a little bit of the efforts that you have made to make that happen. That way you are acknowledging the fact that you understand you are not experienced in the particular work they will have you do (but acknowledging it in a stuble manner), as well as indicating that you are a motivated person willing to work to get where you want to be... just my opinion though...

jobaba-- send me the thread for the current resume. I will help you over this hurdle. We do it all the time for our clients.

Back