NFL Draft

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
I do not know a jack about football but was watching the draft because wanted to see what happened to Tim Tebow. He ended up going to Denver, with Clausen and McCoy still in the board. Big surprise. I guess Denver, who already has two QBs (Quinn and Orton), is thinking that...I do not know what are they thinking. I like the kid and wish him the best but going to a team that already has two QBs does not help his career. On a positive, the Broncos can take their sweet time and prepare Tim Tebow three or four years down the road. He has the character to be the face of the franchise in the future and is a natural leader. Well, for now on I am a new Bronco's fan.

I was watching it up to Tebow. I got tired of Gruden and the others salavating all over Tebow and how he was the "best QB available in the draft" and the "only one in the draft that could play in the NFL right now".

Thats why he went 25th behind, what, 8 other QBs?

Bradford got picked up by the Rams, because God knows the Rams need all the help they can get. It was good to see Suh go real early, then again I like it when the defensive linemen and LBs go ahead of the QBs and RBs.

Tebow was the 2nd QB in the draft btw.

Tebow to Denver = Fail. I'm a Broncos fan, and lets just say I'm questioning my loyalty to the team now...

There seem to be more tackles, safeties and linebackers taken in the first round every year. I think teams are tired of taking hot-shot QBs, WRs, and RBs, in the first round and paying them a large fortune, only to find out they can't hack it in the NFL.

I was watching it up to Tebow. I got tired of Gruden and the others salavating all over Tebow and how he was the "best QB available in the draft" and the "only one in the draft that could play in the NFL right now".
Thats why he went 25th behind, what, 8 other QBs?

What draft were you watching? I certainly never heard any of the commentators say anything close to Tebow being the "best QB available in the draft" and the "only one in the draft that could play in the NFL right now". In fact, much more of the opposite... Kiper was musing that Tebow might be a decent "H-back" at some point. And, like Dex said earlier, Tebow was the 2nd QB drafted.

I guess Denver, who already has two QBs (Quinn and Orton), is thinking that...I do not know what are they thinking.
Let me preface this first by saying that I am (a) a University of Florida Alum and (B) a Browns fan... so I am without-a-doubt extremely biased. Quinn has already shown that he just doesn't have what it takes, yet, to be a leading NFL quarterback and Orton apparently hasn't shown the Broncos that he's their man, either. Tebow has been one of the most successful and winningest QBs in Florida High School Football and College Football History. He's a Heisman Trophy winner and a 2-time National Champion. He may not be a prototypical NFL pocket passer, but there's obviously something to him. He will work his butt off to make himself, and the team, better and, character-wise, you couldn't ask for more in a leader. I think that Denver is thinking that here's a proven winner, a hard worker, and a great human being... and I think that there was huge value where they picked him.

But, like I said, I'm biased.

What draft were you watching? I certainly never heard any of the commentators say anything close to Tebow being the "best QB available in the draft" and the "only one in the draft that could play in the NFL right now". In fact, much more of the opposite... Kiper was musing that Tebow might be a decent "H-back" at some point. And, like Dex said earlier, Tebow was the 2nd QB drafted.
i was watching the same draft, it was right before the comments you mention. There may have been a commercial right after what I sat through and what you heard. THey were talking about him when Denver was on the clock with 3:15 left to select. I remember the time because they were all thinking Denver had this wrapped up even before they started walking on the stage to announce the selection. Kiper was the only one that mentioned he was not as good a QB or "ready to play" person as Gruden and Young seemed to think. Mortensen (son?) comments slip my mind right now.

McCoy didn't end up anywhere. Him and Jimmy C are up for grabs in Round 2.

McCoy didn't end up anywhere. Him and Jimmy C are up for grabs in Round 2.
Jimmy C was Kiper's #1 available player after the 5th or 6th pick. How he'll end up a 2nd round pick is beyond me.

The only comments I remember about Tebow and the "Best" was Grueden and Young talking about Denver being the best place for him to go. Because Denver has 2 QB's with starts, they have more flexibility with getting Tebow into "NFL shape", and the broncoes could play him as a situational QB like a wildcat or a redzone only type scenario. And that he would fit in with the people here. Remember, Focus on the Family is based out of Colorado Springs a mere 45 minute drive to the south...

Last edited:
I honestly think Tebow was a great pickup. To ME...he seemed to have a lot of the same "Concerns" to pro scouts that Phillip Rivers did coming out of NC State, and that turned out to be a pretty good pick for the Giants/Chargers.

I'm happy the Skins went with O-line help. I'm not a fan of "skilled" position players early. They seem to be more hit or miss, but linemen almost ALWAYS end up being a correct choice.

My big issue with drafting Tebow is this: The draft is very defense heavy, the broncos have several holes on D, they already have 2 QB's with pro starts last season. I don't care if he's coming on as a "situational" QB (wildcat, redzone, etc) because those trick plays are going to be a feeble attempt to play catchup on the scoreboard if the defense doesn't get better.

Tebow to Denver = Fail. I'm a Broncos fan, and lets just say I'm questioning my loyalty to the team now...
sheesh, you really think they're not gonna have a good chance in your division? Oakland / KC ain't gonna challenge...The Chargers have more or less been dismantled, so I don't think I'd bail on the 'Broncs yet.

Lions picked up exactly the right guy. Too bad they couldnt of taken the other McCoy too (Gerald)

sheesh, you really think they're not gonna have a good chance in your division? Oakland / KC ain't gonna challenge...The Chargers have more or less been dismantled, so I don't think I'd bail on the 'Broncs yet.

Lions picked up exactly the right guy. Too bad they couldnt of taken the other McCoy too (Gerald)
Winning the AFC west is like winning the presidential race. The winner will be the best of the worst...

I'm just saying it's hard to stay a fan of a team that appears to be imploding so quickly.

Last edited:
Hey, i just want to see maybe a .500 season, or at least a win when I attend a game...winning the division? Inconceivable!

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think San Diego has the division, but I don't think the Raiders and KC will be as bad as everyone thinks they will (assuming the raiders don't start Jamarcus Russell).

The Raiders will start to resemble a real team when they stop Al Davis' heart.

think of it this way, you can watch the rest of the draft and not hear to much about "when will they pick tebow, or show him in his living room"

BTW- Glad he got drafted, wish him the best, yadah, yadah, yadah...

Back