NEWBIE... Need Help.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMRQ01

Reaction score
Hi eveyone,

I am new to this site. I am a PHD in mechanical engineering (ABET accredited school), currenlty working in NJ for the past 3 years) and would like to take the PE-Mechanical Exam as wel. I found this website through online search and found it very useful. I have a few questions to start with.

Do i need to take the FE/EIT exam before taking the PE exam. I cannot locate any information regarding this. Does this rule vary state by state? if yes where is the information that can be obtained to get this straight.

what information do i need to start with my preparation? I.e., books to buy, Exams to buy, Websites with reference material.

Also generally speaking how long should i plan the preparation . 6 months, 1 year. I want to devote about 10-15 hours per week for the preparation is that enough to take the exam in Oct. 2010.

Sorry to swamp you with so many questions.

All/Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ask your 1st question to these guys...

http://www.ncees.org/licensure/licensing_b.../new_jersey.php

My guess is, most people spend 250 or more hours studying for the ME PE. Start your study with the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual, Problems and Solutions to that Manual, 6 minute solution problems, and the NCEES Sample exam. All of that will keep you busy for a while. You can buy all of that here...

http://www.amazon.com/

Sorry to be so brief...the PE is this Friday so a lot of us are in cram mode and don't have much time....but the info above will get you started and keep you busy for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
MMRQ01,

Typically (check your state) you will need to have 4 years of experience between passing the EIT and taking the PE. I have heard that some states vary on this, so check it out. Also, grad school counts as some experience. Since yours was done prior to taking the EIT, not sure how that will work out. My assumption is you will get credit for it.

good luck

MMRQ01,Typically (check your state) you will need to have 4 years of experience between passing the EIT and taking the PE. I have heard that some states vary on this, so check it out. Also, grad school counts as some experience. Since yours was done prior to taking the EIT, not sure how that will work out. My assumption is you will get credit for it.

good luck

You're right, it definitely depends on the state. In Texas, you need 4 years of experience to take the PE (3 with a masters I believe), but the 4 years doesn't have to necessarily come after taking the FE. Because I already had more than 4 years experience, I took the FE in April and then the PE the following October, back to back.

You're right, it definitely depends on the state. In Texas, you need 4 years of experience to take the PE (3 with a masters I believe), but the 4 years doesn't have to necessarily come after taking the FE. Because I already had more than 4 years experience, I took the FE in April and then the PE the following October, back to back.
How did you do on the PE exam?

Any reference material that you can advise for me to start my preparation?

Thanks

How did you do on the PE exam? Any reference material that you can advise for me to start my preparation?

Thanks
I did poorly the first time due to lack of preparation, and same for the second. The third time I studied my ass off and passed with flying colors. Thats about my only advice...lots of problems. at least 300 hours of studying doing problems and more problems.

Back