New Structural Standards

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I really hope I passed or this is going to get expensive...

I can already see the future posts about which fo these are actually required for the morning breadth problems. There was plenty of questions about the transportation references they listed.

I think NCEES is in league with some big bookseller for these things..

Most of the books your company should already have. Well, I just have the clerks photocopy the codes for me and then just bind them. I do own my own copy of the AISC 13th edition and Seismic Design Manual though.

I reviewed the "Seismic Design Manual" a while back. I'm sure the thread is somewhere on page 1 of the Structural Topic list. It really isn't cheap too. It costs as much as the 13th edition!

"Most of the books your company should already have. "
In theory, sure - but we're small enough where nobody keeps up with ordering the newest of everything (except IBC and ASCE 7). Also, since code updates seem to have been issued every 2-3 years lately AND we deal primarily with existing structures, it doesn't seem to be a huge priority. Plus, I generally try to work out of my own library.

In theory, sure - but we're small enough where nobody keeps up with ordering the newest of everything (except IBC and ASCE 7). Also, since code updates seem to have been issued every 2-3 years lately AND we deal primarily with existing structures, it doesn't seem to be a huge priority. Plus, I generally try to work out of my own library.
I'd seriously look for a new place and/or talk with your boss.

Many states have moved to the 2006 IBC already. If you're designing to them, you should atleast have them right?

Many states have moved to the 2006 IBC already. If you're designing to them, you should atleast have them right?
Currently in TX 2003 IBC is the norm, so we're good.

BTW, I agree with you 100% -

I think that TX has lagged behind in code adoption. IIRC, Austin adopted the 2003 IBC just a couple of years ago, and was previously on the 1994 UBC? Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, that's not too bad.

Still, it really gets me that at the bottom of the PDF it says that the use of other standards will not be accepted. In a MC test, of course this won't be true always. Getting busted using old codes in the SEII I could see though.

Latest posts

Back