Need to bring a DICTIONARY?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2keylargo

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether a standard dictionary would be useful? I saw it on someone's list... I'd like to not bring two boxes of books... :p10940623:

In all the times I took the exams, I never took a standard dictionary, but I did take technical dictionary.

Regular dictionary = not necessary, and worse, a waste of space and weight. Some say that certain technical dictionaries can be helpful, such as the environmental engineering dictionary, but I didn't have one and I managed to pass....

In my previous attempts, I have always been able to answer a few morning environmental questions using an env. eng. dictionary. I am planning on bringing one Friday.

I took a Webster College dictionary and it helped me on one question.

I took a Webster College dictionary and it helped me on one question.
Are you sure the answer couldn't have been had from the CERM, too?

I vote "no" on the dictionary - unless it's an engineering dictionary.

If you're mechanical, the MERM and anything extra for your depth should pretty much cover it.

If you have an engineering dictionary, take it! It's unlikely that a Websters dictionary would provide an answer that wasn't in the engineering dictionary or MERM , CERM, etc. Also, if you have a engineering handbook, take it. For me this was "Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers". This is probably more valuable than the dictionary, since it covers many subjects also but in more detail.

Why are you worried about the quantity of books you are taking? Take three box fulls if you have to. Once they are there, you have access to them if you need them. Take books, even if you haven't looked at them during your study period. I did this and it probably gave me answers to 2-3 more questions that I wouldn't have got otherwise. Don't jeopardize the critical 8 hours for the sake of making the 10 minutes before and after the exam easier. Just make sure you have a good method of transporting them. I put mine in paper boxes that I found at work and carried them on a $15 luggage cart I found at Wal-Mart. Worked great.

Good luck! Make sure to do a dry run of the exam day events. From getting to the exam, to alternate routes, to friends you can call if your car breaks down, to carrying your books, to lucnh, to where the bathrooms are located,........well you get the idea.

Back