Need Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biswa

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I have a Mechanical degree....However, I have been working as a geotech engineer for last 4 years. I am signed up to take my PE in Oct 2009. I will be starting MS in geotech from summer. Do you think I am making a mistake by taking PE in geotech before I complete my MS program. Any pointer will help.

I am planning to study for PE starting now!!!

Hi everyone:
I have a Mechanical degree....However, I have been working as a geotech engineer for last 4 years. I am signed up to take my PE in Oct 2009. I will be starting MS in geotech from summer. Do you think I am making a mistake by taking PE in geotech before I complete my MS program. Any pointer will help.

I am planning to study for PE starting now!!!
If you have 4 years worth of experience, you should probably be set for the PM section. Just make sure you are well versed in the geotech section of the CERM. If you feel comfortable with all of those sections, make sure you study hard on all of your AM sections. I would assume you had statics in school but I don't know your structural background. Remember that there is water, wastewater, transportation, construction and all of those other areas. Work as many practice problems as possible and make sure you understand the info in the rest of the CERM. If you work hard enough on it, I bet you can do it.

If you have 4 years worth of experience, you should probably be set for the PM section. Just make sure you are well versed in the geotech section of the CERM. If you feel comfortable with all of those sections, make sure you study hard on all of your AM sections. I would assume you had statics in school but I don't know your structural background. Remember that there is water, wastewater, transportation, construction and all of those other areas. Work as many practice problems as possible and make sure you understand the info in the rest of the CERM. If you work hard enough on it, I bet you can do it.
Thank you for the tips. I took statics and strength of materials in school but I haven't had any structural experience. I feel like I can do it if I study hard enogh. Any good reference other than CERM. Thank you again.

Thank you for the tips. I took statics and strength of materials in school but I haven't had any structural experience. I feel like I can do it if I study hard enogh. Any good reference other than CERM. Thank you again.
I would talk to any of your Geotech coworkers, who got their degrees in CE and talk to them about borrowing books that you can study from and use on the test. Find a copy of the NCEES practice problems for the exam. Work all of them for the AM section and all of the geotech PM questions.

Back