NCEES Problem 803 Item c (afternoon session)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darius

Engineer
Reaction score
I went over this example and somehow I do not agree with their solution for splicing/developing the dowel vertical bar into the wall.

Because that bar will develop seismic tension and flexure (special concrete shear wall), I used Chapter 21, Section 21.7.5.2a and I got a different answer. The solution assume a regular splicing of a straight bar. So what's the difference between a bearing concrete regular wall and a special concrete wall? I would always use Chapter 21 if Seismic Loads would be involved. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I believe all of section 21.7 (ACI 318-08) applies only to "joint of special moment frame". Since the question is talking about the dowels for concrete shear wall, section 21.7.5.2a does not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, note that the NCEES sample problems are based on the 2006 IBC. Not sure if this will make a difference or not.

That's a good catch SEHQ! So bottom line is there is no difference between a Bearing Concrete Wall and a Special Concrete Wall. Seems weird to me but I guess we just follow the code.

Back