NCEES Power #502

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tootie87

Reaction score
The problem reads as follows:

A 3-phase, 460-V, 25-hp induction motor draws 34A at 0.75 lagging power factor from a 480-V source. The reactive power required to correct the power factor to 0.90 lagging is most nearly?

The solution finds P to be 21.7 and I'm not sure how this is calculated. Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!

You have to draw the power triangle with P1, Q1, and S1. You are only adjusting Q up and down. P1 remains. As you adjust Q based on the angle, (the angle goes from 41.4 deg at 0.75 pf to 25.8 deg at .9 pf) the total power S will be adjusted. But P, real power, remains. Then the answer in kVAR is difference between the Q1 at 0.75 and Q2 at 0.9 pf.

The magnitude of S = sqrt(3)*V*I = sqrt(3)*480*34 = 28.3 kVA

P = pf*S = 0.75*28.3 = 21.2 kW

This problem is also discussed in this thread.

The problem reads as follows:
A 3-phase, 460-V, 25-hp induction motor draws 34A at 0.75 lagging power factor from a 480-V source. The reactive power required to correct the power factor to 0.90 lagging is most nearly?

The solution finds P to be 21.7 and I'm not sure how this is calculated. Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!
The 25-hp is 18.64 kW. Can't that number be used to verify the correct solution?

Thanks.

To me, the big trick in this question is using the correct voltage. It's a 460 volt motor, but a 480 volt at 34 amp source. If you use 460 volts, you get it wrong. ;)

I think P can be calculated directly as sqrt(3)xVxIxCOS@= SQRT(3)x480x34x.75=21.2

Hi, I tried to use the formula from the NCEES study guide, 5.1.3
1621492048227.png
And upon doing this I get

S= sqrt(3) * 480 *34 ang (acos(.75)) = 28.3 ang (41.4 deg) kVA
Preal = S * .75 = 21.2 kW

21.2 kW * (tan(acos(.75))-tan(acos(.90))) = 8.4290 kVAR

Moreover, my answer is positive and matches the method of how I used to solve problem 14 in the PE final Exam by Justin Kauwale

Why is the kVAR positive when the NCEES solution manual says it should be negative?

Power correction capacitors and capacitive loads deliver reactive power Q. Typically a load absorbs power, so it has a positive sign in front of the power value (whether it is in VA, W, or VAR). But when a load delivers power instead, it should have a negative sign. This is part of typical source and load conventions for circuit analysis.

SOURCE AND LOAD POWER CONVENTIONS FOR CIRCUIT ANALYSIS:

When a source delivers power, its power sign is positive or +.

When a source absorbs power, its power sign is negative or -.

When a load absorbs power, its power sign is positive or +.

When a load delivers power, its power sign is negative or -.

In the case of power correction, capacitors/capacitive loads are delivering reactive power Q (VAR). So really the VAR value should be negative to denote the capacitive load delivering reactive power.

(Though I should mention that most or at least half of the questions I have seen involving power factor correction like this typically just ask for the absolute value or magnitude of the amount of reactive power Q being delivered for power factor correction. So the negative sign is usually omitted in the final answer.)

Back