NCEES #101

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truong

Reaction score
I'm really not clear about this problem:

Given current I(s) = 5A

N(p) / N(s) = 400:5

Option 1: By formular: N(p)/N(s) = I(s) / I(p)

400/5 = 5/I(p)

===> I(p) = 5*5/400 This is not the right ans.

Option 2: If the given current is I(p) = 5A, then I(s) = (400/5)*5 = 400A This is the correct ans.

But the answer in NCEES is I(p) not I(s).

Would someone explain this problem for me? Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're given a CT with a turns ration of 400:5 and told that full scale reading for the measuring device is 5 amps.

N = 400/5 = 80

5*80 = 400 Amps

If the value the given maximum on the SCADA side was 4 amps instead of 5, the maximum primary current would be 320 Amps (4*80=320).

Hopefully, I didn't just make it worse for you.

You're given a CT with a turns ration of 400:5 and told that full scale reading for the measuring device is 5 amps.
N = 400/5 = 80

5*80 = 400 Amps

If the value the given maximum on the SCADA side was 4 amps instead of 5, the maximum primary current would be 320 Amps (4*80=320).

Hopefully, I didn't just make it worse for you.
Thank you but it was not my question.

My question was the 400A is primary current or secondary current?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 400A is the current in the line that you are measuring.

The CT steps it down to measurable levels. CT's are usually a something:1 or something:5 ratio.

Ok, I'll take another swipe at this. The turns ratio of the CT is given in terms of current rather than voltage. This inverts the equation for determining N.

The "secondary" winding on the CT actually has the higher number of turns.

For your equation, then:

NP = 5

NS = 400

IP/IS = NS/NP so

IP = IS*(NS/NP) = 5(400/5) = 400 Amps

Ok, I'll take another swipe at this. The turns ratio of the CT is given in terms of current rather than voltage. This inverts the equation for determining N.

For your equation, then:

NP = 5

NS = 400

IP/IS = NS/NP so

But usually the turning ratio is Np:Ns, correct? In this problem the ratio given is 400:5, that means Np= 400, Ns= 5?

For your equation, then:

NP = 5

NS = 400

IP/IS = NS/NP so

But usually the turning ratio is Np:Ns, correct? In this problem the ratio given is 400:5, that means Np= 400, Ns= 5?
You're stepping the current down, which means the voltage is going up therefore there is 5 turns on the primary and 400 turns on the secondary.

For your equation, then:

NP = 5

NS = 400

IP/IS = NS/NP so

You're stepping the current down, which means the voltage is going up therefore there is 5 turns on the primary and 400 turns on the secondary.
If the turn in primary is 5 and in secondary is 400, should it be written as 5:400 instead of 400:5?

If the turn in primary is 5 and in secondary is 400, should it be written as 5:400 instead of 400:5?
The turns ratio for a CT is given in terms of current, not voltage. It will almost always be expressed in the format given (400:5) which translates as 400 Amps primary results in 5 Amps secondary.

The turns ratio for a CT is given in terms of current, not voltage. It will almost always be expressed in the format given (400:5) which translates as 400 Amps primary results in 5 Amps secondary.
Thanks for your explanation.

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to draw this? I understand how to get the answer, but honestly, I do not know what this looks like.

Back