Navy SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden identified

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/navy-seal-who-shot-bin-laden-identified-as-rob-oneill-162127333.html

The U.S. Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden during the daring 2011 raid on the terror leader's compound in Abbottobad, Pakistan, has been identified as Rob O'Neill.

"I support him in everything he is doing," Tom O'Neill told the U.K. newspaper. "People are asking if we are worried that ISIS will come and get us because Rob is going public. ... I say I'll paint a big target on my front door and say come and get us."

Despite killing the world's most-wanted terrorist, he said, he was not given a pension, health care or protection for himself or his family.

"[sEAL command] told me they could get me a job driving a beer truck in Milwaukee," he told Esquire. "My health care for me and my family stopped. I asked if there was some transition from my Tricare to Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said no. You're out of the service, your coverage is over. Thanks for your 16 years. Go f--- yourself."

"What are you supposed to do when you come out of the military after such service," Tom O'Neill said, "become a greeter at Walmart?"

I have so many different feelings about this. First, I feel that their anonymity is what keeps them ahead of everyone else doing what they do so I don't necessarily agree with going public. That being said, what is stated in the article about how he's being treated post service is quite crappy. Am I wrong, or aren't they taken care of once they retire? And the comments from his father are just awesome.

I'm sure there is more to the story, however whether you are the biggest fuck up in the military or Audie Murphy if you don't do 20 years you don't get nothing( unless injured or something)

Last edited by a moderator:
see, that's what I didn't realize. I didn't know about the 20 years. and while you are right there is def more to the story, it seems to me that based on that (20 yrs) he doesn't have much to complain about.

I'm sure there is more to the story, however whether you are the biggest fuck up in the military or Audie Murphy if you don't do 20 years you don't get nothing( unless injured or something)

unless he took early retirement, but then they back charge you time and junk and I doubt he went that route

He should at least do 4 years in the reserves or National Guard so he would at least be eligible for some retirement benefits when he's 60

He should at least do 4 years in the reserves or National Guard so he would at least be eligible for some retirement benefits when he's 60
that's what I'm thinking. become a recruiter or something.

that's what I'm thinking. become a recruiter or something.

most recruiters are still active duty and can be switched back over to a different MOS

Edit- at least those that i have seen, but each branch does have their own so I guess they would too...

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right, come to think of it. I have a friend who is NG recruiter. almost positive hes active duty too

National Guard does have recruiters however there what's called AGR – active guard and reserve.

These guys usually don't have problems finding work, but I was reading an article that said for a lot of these special force types it's difficult to adjust to normal life after living the kind of life that you have lived in Iraq and Afghanistan the last decade.

Probably the same for just your ordinary soldiers also.

Back