My New Job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
Here's a more detailed explanation of my new job (talked about in the 10k thread).

My main duty involves "Failure Cause Analysis" on various types of machines, appliances, etc. Basically, say your dishwasher breaks and floods your kitchen. You file a claim with your insurance company, and they pay the claim. The insurance company then sends the dishwasher to my company and asks for a preliminary report. We take a look at it and determine whether it was operator error, manufacturing defect, incorrect installation, or something else that caused the failure. If it was the manufacturer or installer, then the insurance company will decide whether or not to pursue subrogation against them to recover some of the funds they paid in the claim. The insurance companies love this service because my company only charges them a $320 flat fee for the initial investigation. This also makes the work somewhat recession proof because during a recession, the insurance companies have more motivation to subrogate claims to boost their bottom line.

There are other, somewhat more interesting, aspects to the job as well. The company does on-site fire and flood investigations, so I may be called out to investigate equipment in the field before it is disturbed to see if/how it caused the damage. Some claims escalate to lawsuits, so more destructive testing may need to be carried out in the presence of experts and lawyers from both sides to determine the exact cause of failure. This may also lead to depositions and/or litigation. Finally, there are large-scale cases where lots of field work and litigations are imminent. The two that were brought up during my interview were the ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom that cut off a girl's feet and the train at the Louisville Zoo that derailed and injured a bunch of people.

Anyway, back to the main duties. There is a time limit between a claim being paid out and the insurance company filing for subrogation with a manufacturer and/or installer. The Component Testing Lab (CTL), where I will be working, is actually losing out on work because their backlog is currently longer than that time limit. They are hiring a bunch more engineers in order to be able to handle more claims, and generate more business. When the CTL started, they were doing about 5 cases a week. They are on pace to do more than 6000 this year, and trying for 10,000 next year (total elapsed time = 5 years).

Combine this explosive growth with the fact that natural disasters and recessions generate MORE work instead of less, and I'm feeling good about the long-term job security.

That's awesome Wil. I'm assuming this position is looking for more of a MechE background, right?

Do you get to work in a dimly lit environment, always have a serious look on your face, and play dramatic music over the loudspeakers?

That sounds like a cool job Wil! It's also good to have that feeling of job security, especially with the way things have been lately. Congrats again!

Thanks, and thanks again to everybody that provided advice/encouragement. Sometimes it helps to have people to bounce ideas off of. I didn't let very many people know I was even interviewing (including my family and friends). But you guys knew.

Congrats wilheld! That sounds like a seriously cool job. It also sounds like you will be pretty secure, being one of only 2 EEs.

I know you're not checking in on the 10K, so how was the last day at you're old place? I hope the basement work goes well this week. Maybe you can finish it up.

That sounds like a hell of a job. Forensics is one of the few things that really interests me in engineering, I'm going to have to start hassling some of the firms around here after I get back from vacation next month.

Congrats Wilheld! way to diversify...and sounds pretty secure too.

Colorado.
Ooo...sorry. We don't have anything West of St. Louis.

I haven't done any real work yet since the learning curve is relatively steep before I can start contributing meaningfully to the company. But I have watched some of the guys do preliminary investigations and joint studies with experts from other parties. I've also been reading a code book, which I was really dreading, but it has ended up being the most interesting code book EVAR (NFPA 921: Fire and Explosion Investigations...reads more like an instruction manual on how to investigate fires than it does a code book). I'm supposed to go on a site visit to either a fire or flood investigation as soon as one gets booked in my area.

I think I'm going to really enjoy the job, though.

No worries, there are several firms pretty close to me (one is even just down the street from my current place of employment). Just gotta wait for results (c'mon NCEES), update my resume, and write up an enthralling cover letter. Vacation first, though. It's been a long time and I can't wait to unplug for a couple weeks.

I bet you'll like the job, I know I would. That might even be something I'd do without being paid the fatty money. :eek:hmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to go out on a fire investigation this afternoon and it was awesome. This lady had 7 fans (plug-in fans...mix of box fans, circular fans, and window fans) plugged into various outlets in her condo. Apparently, she left a box fan running when she left for work one morning, and it somehow caught fire and burned a big hole in the 2nd floor. There was tons of smoke damage, and the firefighters has caused lots of damage fighting it.

It was interesting seeing the process of investigating the fire, but unfortunately, we weren't able to determine the root cause of the fire. Lots of theories and speculation, but no conclusion.

Back