Moving on - surveying exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
I tried four times to pass the CT state surveying exam.  I didn't pass any of those tries.  I'm not going to get all mad about it, even though I think it is bullshit that they don't tell you what you got wrong or provide any study resources prior to the exam.  So, I'm just moving on.  I'm going to cut my losses and just be happpy with myself being a licensed engineer.  Obtaining the surveying license was a goal of mine for many years, but I'm not putting myself through the agony of waiting, studying, hoping, and being dissapointed for nothing more than an ego booster (because that's all it is at the end of the day).  I don't need it for my job, I don't need it for a pay increase.  I really just wanted to accomplish it as a personal goal but today upon getting my fourth failing notice, I've decided I have other goals that I want to achieve and I have achieved many goals already.  Just like a handful of other things that I wanted to achieve in my life, this one will just not happen.  I'm moving on.  Thanks for all of the support for the last several years while I tried to achieve this.  I appreciate the positive thoughts and encouraging comments, but now I need to focus on my deployment, focus on my family, focus on my civilian job once I get back to it after this deployment and just move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
so (in general) what is on the test? 

To me the LSIT is a total joke, I knew people that had to take it 4-5 times in GA, and then passed the state specific part without even studying?  Maybe take it in one of the dumber states like FLorida just to get one seal?

I really need to get mine (RLS/PLS)  CDOT makes you have a surveyor stamp ROW plans here. and 99% of surveyors are annoying as **** to deal with..

so (in general) what is on the test? 

To me the LSIT is a total joke, I knew people that had to take it 4-5 times in GA, and then passed the state specific part without even studying?  Maybe take it in one of the dumber states like FLorida just to get one seal?

I really need to get mine (RLS/PLS)  CDOT makes you have a surveyor stamp ROW plans here. and 99% of surveyors are annoying as **** to deal with..
The FS exam was really easy.  The PS exam to me was fairly easy as well.  The State Specific exam is really a law exam, specifically, a statutes exam covering a litany of topics and focusing on very obscure references deep in the statute and case laws pertaining to surveying.  I really don't know how else to explain it except that it is infuriating.

In GA there was a group SAMSOG- surveying and mapping society of Ga. They put on a class to cover the state law stuff- I am assuming they spoon fed stuff to people cause I've dealt with some surveyors with 8th grade educations before....

Maybe there is something similar up north?

The dual is nice but it's really like downgrading yourself from a plane to the bus...

Two members of the board have agreed to review my last test with me over the phone next week to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to better prepare for my next try.  That is pretty cool.
I'm glad to hear that bud. Good luck

Two members of the board have agreed to review my last test with me over the phone next week to help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to better prepare for my next try.  That is pretty cool.
I hope that works out for you.  It's pretty weak not have some diagnostics to identify weak areas and help with preparation for a retest.

So, I chatted with the two surveyors on the CT board.  They were real nice and told me the percentages that I got right in each area.  Then we went through a few of the questions that I got wrong, four in fact, and one of them turns out I got right.  So, they will give me credit for that one.  Then they agreed to go through the rest of them to make sure there were no others.  I haven't heard back but I'm guessing they won't find any others that were misgraded.  However, two of the other questions we discussed they agreed were probably not well worded and would look into them further.  So, do I think it'll be enough to convert to a passing grade?  No, I think it was productive to at least bring to their attention the one incorrectly graded answer and other problems with the exam.  They also said it was clear while talking with me that I was thinking along the right lines on the questions, so who knows, maybe something will come of it.

Back