Modulus of Elasticity for masonry

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Latvian

Hi there..

Anybody knows the properties of masonry? Like the modulus of elasticity or if there is any table to find these properties in.

Thank you

Hi there..
Anybody knows the properties of masonry? Like the modulus of elasticity or if there is any table to find these properties in.

Thank you
For CMU, the modulus (in compression) is generally taken as 900 f'm

typical masonry strengths run from 1200 to 2000 psi

all of these values can vary greatly

I recommend the code (ACI 530) or look for the TEK manuals from www.ncma.org - those are free and very informative.

HTH

If you have a copy of Lindeburg's Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) it's in there... Chapter 68 for the tenth edition.

I don't know where to find it on-line, but I'm sure it can be done.

The CERM has 2 equations for estimating E. For clay masonry, E=700*(compressive strength of masonry) and for concrete masonry, E=900*(compressive strength of masonry). These are apparently taken from the MSJC (Masonry Standards Joint Committee) Code. Also may be listed in ACI 530. I don't have either of those codes, so I can't tell you for sure.

Thank you very much guys for your help. I think that I will find what am looking for according to your replies.

Thanks

Back