Modeling Dam Failure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjamman

Reaction score
Is there a specific program anyone can point me towards to perform a breach study and surrounding impact from flood?

It appears HEC-RAS (Army Corps. free program) can model but I have never used this program before, neither has anyone in the office. I have pretty decent field data (x-sections and surrounding topo, as well as bridge abuttments) from the downward stream as well as the reservoir analysis. Anyone ever performed this type of study and can lend some helpful information?

Thanks in advance.

I typically use the Maryland Method which is based upon the NWS equations.

Here is a link: http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Water/DamSafety/TechnicalReferences/Documents/www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/damsafety/workshop/Dam%20Failure%20Analysis%20by%20Bruce%20Harrington.pdf

This will give you a Power Point of the process. Hec-1 will help determine the flow or do it by hand. Then I typically just run sections every 50-100 feet until I hit a major waterway/culvert. Use the break flow as your steady flow.

These links are perfect! Thank you very much - definitely have a better grasp on what I am doing after going through all this.

Latest posts

Back