Minimum Green Time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJK

Reaction score
I am working The Transportation portion of the NCEES sample exam. I'm having some issues with problem 501,

which asks for a minimum green time for a signal given the crosswalk width and some other factors.

The solution references chapter 9 of the 1997 HCM, and give the equation: Gp=7+(W/4.0)-Y

I cannot seem to find this equation in my copy of the 2000 HCM. Does anyone know where its at?

I keep coming across equation 16.2 (on page 16-5) which is: Gp= 3.2+L/4.0+(2.7Nped/We)

But you need to know walkway effective width and the number of pedestrains for this equation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am working The Transportation portion of the NCEES sample exam. I'm having some issues with problem 501, which asks for a minimum green time for a signal given the crosswalk width and some other factors.

The solution references chapter 9 of the 1997 HCM, and give the equation: Gp=7+(W/4.0)-Y

I cannot seem to find this equation in my copy of the 2000 HCM. Does anyone know where its at?

I keep coming across equation 16.2 (on page 16-5) which is: Gp= 3.2+L/4.0+(2.7Nped/We)

But you need to know walkway effective width and the number of pedestrains for this equation.

I had the same problem, however after much searching I did find the equation they referenced in one of my old college transpo books. That was the only place I could seem to find it.

-Ray

I believe chapter 16 is mainly for analyzing pedestrians only, where the minimum green time is something that should be considered for every traffic signal that has ped xing.

I have packed up my HCM but if anyone has the 97 HCM and recalls what chapter 9 is called, it should be in the same chapter name as the 2000 HCM. I would look through the "Signalized Interections" Chapter

okay my bad. Ch 16 is Signalized Intersetions, so you would use the new HCM formula 16-2 to find the Gp (NCEES should update their sample exam)

but you would either be given the info or use standard defaults (MUTCD should have crosswalk widths recommendations) but thats a little subjective since every state has their own standards.

I would have both forumulas handy.

P.S.
maybe I need to go get more familiar with the HCM than just chapters 20-23

DVINNY,

I had the same thought about 5 weeks ago, and spent a good week going through other chapeters. There is a lot of information in the HCM, (particularily in the "Methodologies Section") which seems like possible exam material to me.

The way the HCM is set up, you can waste a lot of time paging through it looking for something.

Also you can easily spend a week just on the signalized intersections chapter. This is the area where I am the weakest.

Andrew

DVINNY,
I had the same thought about 5 weeks ago, and spent a good week going through other chapeters. There is a lot of information in the HCM, (particularily in the "Methodologies Section") which seems like possible exam material to me.

The way the HCM is set up, you can waste a lot of time paging through it looking for something.

Also you can easily spend a week just on the signalized intersections chapter. This is the area where I am the weakest.

Andrew
I copied the pages of the chapter worksheets for LOS and put them in my transpo binder. I figured if a LOS type question came up, I could go to the one that is applicable and start to set up my work... granted I will still need to go to the HCM to get all the factors, those pages are tabbed.

-Ray

the CERM has it in one of the 70's Chapters. I don't have it with me, I just packed all mine up for the night

NCEES Sample problems have not been updated since the new HCM came out. This problem can ONLY be solved using the old HCM.

I am working The Transportation portion of the NCEES sample exam. I'm having some issues with problem 501, which asks for a minimum green time for a signal given the crosswalk width and some other factors.

Back